Hyundai Coupe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone likes to make their car stand out from the crowd and be admired by other car fanatics. You can spend thousands of pounds on it, getting it perfect and then finding your dream has been shattered by some one who is less appreciative of the time and money you have spent and would rather try to steal it. You cannot win because the more you spend on it making it the dream car, the more thieves will want it. More times then not, they don't want the whole car - they just want the valuable contents that can easily be snatched. This is where you need to use your head and not make it a thieves Christmas bonus, by taking precautions you can minimise the chance of your car being targeted.

When you're driving home be sure to turn the music down as you get close, the last thing you want to do is tell everyone where your car will be parked for the duration of the night. Be careful where you park your car, especially at night, keep it in well lit places where it's visible and not hid away somewhere out of sight making it easier to have a snoop around. The quickest thing to go out of your car is your stereo and with prices of a decent one, you will do anything to keep it in your possession. Lock your vehicle when ever you leave it, even if it's just to nip into the shops or petrol station, its better being safe then sorry.

Practically everyone changes their stereo from the manufacturer basic one and thieves know this! The most common mistake is that people often leave the stereo face in the car, even if they remove it from the stereo and put it in the glove compartment. Be sure to take it with you at all times when you leave your vehicle. Keep everything as hidden as it can be, if you can't see it - a thief cant!

It's always recommended that you invest into a decent alarm to help protect your valuables when you are not in your car. Even if you have hidden everything it doesn't stop a burglar seeing if they can find anything, this will leave you needing to replace the window or even worse in some extreme cases. If you cannot afford an alarm you can simply buy a flashing LED light and wire that up easy enough to give the appearance of an alarm while you save up for one.

You have to be careful because many thieves know the tricks of the trade and will try to catch you off guard. If your alarm keeps going off during the night for some strange reason, don't let them fool you, they often set it off after you keep turning it off hoping you will disarm it or ignore it giving them a clear run at your car.

Be sure to read up on the different types of alarms you can get to ensure you get the right type for you.

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
iv now bought a chain and padlock for my front gate.its suprising how many people just "wander" down your drive

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
thedupleman said:
iv now bought a chain and padlock for my front gate.its suprising how many people just "wander" down your drive
If you're facing frontwards up your drive, always check before reversing out. Last year there was a lot of the following going on-
1- Theives watch the car, see if theres a regular pattern, such as going to work at the same time everyday.
2- They put a sheet over rear window, knowing you'll probably never look before you get in.
3- You start to reverse out, you look for on coming cars, and see nothing but a sheet.
4- You get out to remove the sheet, you're only going to be a few seconds so you leave engine running.
5- Whilst your at the back of the car, thief jumps in and drives off, he's got the keys so no worries about alarms or immobiliser.

Which leads to another important point, in modern cars theives know there little chance of getting anywhere without the keys. Take them upstairs with you, or keep them locked away.
Also even if you don't have a tracker, theives don't know that, and will often leave it somewhere and keep an eye on it for a few days. Sometimes this may be in a garage, but sometimes its placces such as a 24hour supermarket carpark. No-ones going to think anything about a car in the carpark in the early hours, and they can keep coming back to check up on it. It is always worth a look around the local area for hiding places, as I know cars have been recovered this way.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Practically everyone changes their stereo from the manufacturer basic one and thieves know this! The most common mistake is that people often leave the stereo face in the car, even if they remove it from the stereo and put it in the glove compartment. Be sure to take it with you at all times when you leave your vehicle. Keep everything as hidden as it can be, if you can't see it - a thief cant!
Leave the glovebox open so they can see it's not there too. If you take your faceplate with you, and it's closed, they may still think it's in there! How would they know either way? The damage they do to the car during breaking in, only to realise it's not there, is still going to cost money and time to fix.

·
Registered
167 Posts
eggcatcher said:
thedupleman said:
If you're facing frontwards up your drive, always check before reversing out. Last year there was a lot of the following going on-
1- Theives watch the car, see if theres a regular pattern, such as going to work at the same time everyday.
2- They put a sheet over rear window, knowing you'll probably never look before you get in.
3- You start to reverse out, you look for on coming cars, and see nothing but a sheet.
4- You get out to remove the sheet, you're only going to be a few seconds so you leave engine running.
5- Whilst your at the back of the car, thief jumps in and drives off, he's got the keys so no worries about alarms or immobiliser.

Which leads to another important point, in modern cars theives know there little chance of getting anywhere without the keys. Take them upstairs with you, or keep them locked away.
Also even if you don't have a tracker, theives don't know that, and will often leave it somewhere and keep an eye on it for a few days. Sometimes this may be in a garage, but sometimes its placces such as a 24hour supermarket carpark. No-ones going to think anything about a car in the carpark in the early hours, and they can keep coming back to check up on it. It is always worth a look around the local area for hiding places, as I know cars have been recovered this way.
LOL Wouldn't get mine, i have Clifford Gen 5 with Balckjax anti - hijack, when the door is opened the blackjax resets and code is needed again. You will get approx 200meters before the car gives a warning and then shuts the engine off which cant even be started with the key unless you input the code! Great advice though, i know someone who had this done to them with the sheet on the window... :D

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Wow I am extra paranoid now!!! it is amazing the lenghts people will go to to damage or steal a car!thankfully car crime isnt that bad here, worst it ever was here was my cousins scooter got nicked, she found it the next day in a field with no petrol left in it! stories like these make me count my lucky stars!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Some people are just evil ba****ds, simple as that!!!!
My Integra was stolen a couple of years ago ON CHRISTMAS DAY!!!!!!!!

Waking up and seeing your car gone is the worst feeling in the world.

It was a nice tidy car when I had it.:

This is what it looked like when I found it a few hours later:

·
Registered
881 Posts
I could only recognise it because the stickers I had on the rear quarter panels had melted on.

I'd love to know how the back of it ended up on top of an 8 foot wall!!!!

·
Registered
461 Posts
guy decides his cars never gona get nicked
so he buys a rottweiler and sticks it in the back
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
couple of weeks later he has to go to a rough part of town
so off he goes rottweiler in the back
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
just as hes parking his car a spotty little kid come over
"look after your car mister for a fiver"
the guy points in the bak at the dog an says " no thanks no one would dare"
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
kid says " good with fires is he" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
89 Posts
this is such a good post, i work in a 24h garage 11pm-7am nights, around uni, and its suprising how many people have attempted to get into my car as its parked up through the night, i tend to go over the tannoy and shout abuse to them which usualy gets rid of them :lol:

recently ive had the ingenius idea of parking it in the car wash and locking it in, not only is it secure it also prevents any frost at all mounting on it :twisted:

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I worked the same shift at a bp, it was always parked on the pump furthest away from the shop, it was well lit and always on camera so it never got touched, plus that was the pump where people thought they would get away with doing a drive off so everyone wins.

·
Registered
78 Posts
hey guys i had to post something on here..

Well my Friend lives in the middle off no where in between two fords ( where river goes across the road ).
Anyway i was there and with my other car on the drive i use to have a pug 106 GTI, now one morning it had been raining over night so the rivers were high anyway two lads in a car had been driving in this car around my friends area Which we didnt know. They went through the river and konked out so they came up the drive lookin for a battery for there car so my mates dad came out and said hey lads can i help u. They went we are after some jump leads we are stuck downt here so my friends dad.. Being LOYAL said well ill tow you guys if u want and he has a Subaru Legacy. So he went out towed them to the nearest town which is about 4 miles away and he goes right guys i think this will be ok. so they got out and he got out he went down to get the leads off and then the two lads jumped on him and batterd him and did off with his car.

But he rang me up coz he knows ill look after him so i got in my car flew up and i saw them going down a back road so i flew after them and then i lost them and about 40 mins later i saw some lads running and i did like hand brake turn in middle off main road and jumped out and went after one and lost im again my mate took my car went to look for his dads car and then he rang me told me where he was then i went round and saw his dads car on fire. ITS ****ING DAM HORRIBLE AND SICK PEOPLE WHAT would do tht to him.. he was helping him and they went and did tht..

Annddd

in my pug 106 GTI i had sub's and dear stereo i parked it in a rough area which were my mate lived and i thought nothing off it , and we went out down today and i came back to all windows smashed. all my stereo and cd's and sub gone and they even smashed my lights up as well. i hate people like tht.. found out who did it and did wot i needed to do.

But you just can not trust ANYONE CAN U NOWER DAYS !!!

anddd....

my friend whos a dodgey he was out in liverpool one time with some big time gangster and he went backt o his apartment with hima nd police raided the apartment and my friend got away with it and he found some keys in a draw right and took them quickly and ran out the house and ran and got rid off police he came back in morning and went in appartment and he found some keys he went down to the garage. he then had two keys for a Audi Q7 and a Bmw m3 .

Soo he took the Audi Q7 and now 2 years on hes not been stopped in the q7 or anything LOOOL but hes a idiot for doing it i dont talk to im like but thought id tell u.. :|

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
That sure is a read. Its a shame just shows you cant trust anyone these days and i would seriously think twice about helping anyone.

My mates car got burnt out for no reason and it took mine with it. Should burn the lot of them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A mate of mine had her Audi TT centre caps nicked - not a big deal but she was pretty ****** off about it. She had a look on ebay and found a set going 2nd hand in the SAME town put on for auction the SAME day they were nicked. She put a massive bid on to bugger up the auction - NEVER DO THIS - the seller then has your address. In the early hours of the next morning she woke to find her car burning on her drive right next to her house - the house nearly caught fire. Imagine if she'd not woken up!

When I was kid we had a Cortina Estate that my dad had bought to start his own business, we all loved it as we'd ever had a family car before. We all drove to church one Saturday night and parked just outside next to a Subaru 4x4. When we came out our car had been nicked and had to walk home.

The car was driven into a wall and apparently, a witness said the guy got out and bought some flowers for his mum and walked off. Looks like she brought him up the right way!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I cant lock my doors,no locks installed, so my car is not often outta my site, ...keep her in my Garage ,and I live far in the woods lol.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have heard stories of car theft whereby they actually target cars with tints. Apparently they are intrigued with whats inside, probably know you have a sound system and the glass smashes in 1 piece so its easier to break into. One of the reasons i would never tint my windows

1 - 20 of 32 Posts