Hyundai Coupe Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm changing the front pads on my Gen3 next week, anything I should look out for? And I've already bought redstuff pads so no spoonage about which pads to get please ;)

I assume it'll all be an obvious opposite-of-removal job?

·
Registered
596 Posts
1. Once the old pads are out clean up the calliper then go and have a cup of tea, or coffeee AND WASH YOUR HANDS.
Then you'll have nice clean hands for the reassembly. Don't get graesy fingermarks on the disks.
2. Clean the dust and crud off the pistons before pushing them back into the callipers, or you'll damage the seals and risk eventual loss of fluid. Use some old brake fluid (see point 4) for the cleaning.
3. I usually use a hammer handle, or similar oval shaft, and wood packing to push the pistons back into the caliper. Just use the hammer head as a handle and twist the shaft from smaler to larger diameter and the piston should slide back into trhe bores. Repack and repeat as necessary.
4. Remember to slacken the brake fluid reservoir before pushing the pistons back, and be prepared to remove some brake fluid from the reservoir (especially if the reservoir has been topped up since the last pad change / ever) I usually use a couple of kitchen wipes to soak some of the fluid up.
5. Brake fluid is an excellant paint stripper, so if you spill any wipe it up immediately and wash the area down once you'e finished.

It may sound complex but it's quite straight forward. A lot of it is just taking time and using plain commonsense

1 - 2 of 2 Posts