Hyundai Coupe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone... :)

I have a 2000 W Reg Coupe and I keep loosing pressure from a couple of my tyres which I've been told by a couple of different people is because of the poor state of the alloys... I guess this is common with alloys?

I've been quoted between £360-460 to get the wheels completely reconditioned which is lots of money... anyone know if this is a reasonable price or are they trying to pull a fast one?

The other option is reconditioned 2nd hand alloys but i'd want to go to a reputable dealer for something like that... too big a purchase to risk on ebay I reckon. Does anyone have any suggestions, I'm in Hampshire?

Thanks everyone

Ally. :D

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
yep they are not lying mate.hyundai alloys go "porous" look for some on ebay best bet

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
depending on just how bad a state there in mate its hard to say whether the price youve been quoted is good or bad... personally i wouldnt pay much more than £50 a wheel.... anything more than that for a standard hyundai alloys isnt really worth it imo when you can pick them up cheap on ebay

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
These are a nice upgrade from the 15 inch hyundai rims mate... They are 16 inch f2 evo rims originally fitted to the gen1 f2 evos but they will fit the gen2 also [ebay]280417783354[/ebay]

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
Is it actually leaks through the alloys, or just wheels need balancing? I had similar problem and a few little bits of lead on the rims sorted it.

·
Banned
169 Posts
I've never heard of alloy recons being more than £70 a wheel, if you're looking at £360 upwards then don't take the risk and just buy yourself some brand spanking new wheels. They'll be straight with no buckles and won't leak air.

If I paid nearly five hundred quid to get my wheels refurbed I would be angry. Especially as there's still no guarantee they won't leak...

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
It cost me £290 for a brand new set of 17's with tyres, so i wouldnt be paying that for a refurb :lol:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your messages,

I've had the spare put on to overcome the worst wheel problem for the time being but it looks more likely that I'll have to sort it out more permenantly soon... If I go for replacing the wheels where should I look for them? Are there places that won't try and rip off a girl with no alloy-buying experience?

I'm having a look on ebay but I'm having trouble with the search tools they give, they keep coming up with 15" wheels when I search by reg or by model but mine has 17" wheels. This happens on nearly all parts searches for my car... it always seems to come up with things for either the previous or next model... any suggestions?

Thanks

Ally

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, lots of the ones on autotrader say 15" too, perhaps i'll just go measure em! :D

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
these are the ones i got...

[ebay]370283904906[/ebay]

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
if your alloys are the ones in the piccy on the left <<<<<<< then they are the standard 15 inch hyundai alloys.... Im 99% sure hyundai didnt do any 17" rims to fit the gen1 or 2??

·
Banned
169 Posts
Try here:

Alloywheels.com

They're a company called Rochford Tyres (but they trade under alloywheels.com to make themselves feel special) - they do a vast range. That link will take you to the wheels that should be in the correct fitment for your car, but if/when you find some you like, just post the link on here and I'm sure someone will be able to double check they'll fit for you.

I've got a Gen3 so can't be as specific as some people will be able to be.

O.

·
Banned
169 Posts
Everything you need will be bundled in with the price of fitting - you'll need valves, balancing weights and possibly new spigot rings but these are only a few pounds and also aren't your problem - let the garage fitting the tyres worry about that.

Any tyre place will be able to remove the tyres from your old wheels and fit them to your new wheels - whether you want to do this or not depends upon the state of your tyres - if they're in good nick then swap them over, if you're going to need to replace them soon anyway then take the opportunity now - the more times your wheels are tyres are changed the more scratches and things they'll pick up.

Any Qwik-Fit or local tyre place can do the work, just phone them up and ask for a quote. Expect to pay around £15 a wheel to get the tyres swapped.

Hope that helps!
O.

·
Registered
198 Posts
refubs and painting costs me 46 per wheel and ive got 17"'s

it should be less, the quote you have is a complete rip off

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, i've just ordered my new wheels from www.alloywheels.com who have been really helpful and answered my many, many emails and so far, its working out around £50 per wheel then it'll just be the cost of getting them fitted and balanced which hopefully won't be too much.

Thanks everyone for all your comments and suggestions, nice to find such a helpful bunch!

Ally :)

·
Banned
169 Posts
It's what we're here for ;)

If by the end of it all you're got a nice looking set of brand-spanking new wheels all sorted for less than it would've cost to get the old ones fixed up, then I call that a success story.

O.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
hah but you have overlooked the £15 fee we charge for each post in a thread that results in a success :p

Just kidding..... be sure to post some piccys of those lovely new wheels when you have them fitted :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey everyone, got my new wheels put on today and they only charged me £30 for changing the wheels, transferring the tyres over, balancing and valves so I was pleased with that! I will try and work out how to put on a pic or two but I reckon I'm gonna wait until it stops chucking it down all the time... Have done about 100 miles on the new wheels already and its a bit smoother I reckon, and a bit quieter too which is nice!

Next job... wonky aerial that doesn't retract anymore... not as urgent as the wheels were but any hints or suggestions welcome!

Ally :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts