Hyundai Coupe Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to make myself a boot build durin the cold months and want a decent size screen in thhe boot. at least 15" im also goin to mould a 7" in the dash. will also need to get a cable long enough to go from the head unit to the boot..

if anyone knows any good sites for any of this id appreciate it.

cheers

·
Banned
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
anything i can connect to a normal dvd head unit. i dont mind if its actually a computer screen.

will that work then?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
If you want a 7" touchscreen for a pc, dvd etc then this is by far the best bet:

[ebay]160367903280[/ebay]

I planned to get it moulded into the console but gave up on the car pc project - I still have the mini PC unit, just needed a 12v power supply (much better than running an inverter to step the power up to 230V AC to step it down again back to 12V DC!)
I got a guy near me that does that kind of stuff for a living. He's re-moulding my siii console to house a gen3 digital climate unit at the bottom while I re-wire the switches ;)
Got to admit I really did like the idea of having a perfectly flush double din screen in the console, and the idea was to take the cigarette lighter and ashtrey unit out and fit a single DIN dvd player down there and link it tot the screen, as well as the PC in the boot/glove box.

Back to that screen though, it has the added benefit of being flush, no buttons, no logos and a perfect shape, as apposed to most screens that try to look fancy and wouldnt fit right :D

·
Banned
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers for that tris, it really does look the part. i have no idea about putting a pc in the car? ive never really looked into it.

im sure that would be really cool but i dont know anything about puttin something complicate in there. if i brought that and wanted a pc, how would i power it and where would i get the actual computer from? wouldnt it be easier to mould a laptop into the car lol?

but definately looks good for dvd player. i got a gen 1 so i would probobly mould it into the dash [passanger side faceing slightly towards the drivers side.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
lukewood said:
cheers for that tris, it really does look the part. i have no idea about putting a pc in the car? ive never really looked into it.

im sure that would be really cool but i dont know anything about puttin something complicate in there. if i brought that and wanted a pc, how would i power it and where would i get the actual computer from? wouldnt it be easier to mould a laptop into the car lol?

but definately looks good for dvd player. i got a gen 1 so i would probobly mould it into the dash [passanger side faceing slightly towards the drivers side.
eBay is your friend for a car PC, find someone who had nearly completed one and gave up or is getting rid of a project, luckily I have a mate who had installed one, then took it out and built his own into the car - but he's an IT whizz lol - so he checked on over.
Something like this [ebay]140355607424[/ebay]

But one eBay trade seller on there that does B.I.N for usually around £400-£500 puts one up for auction every so often with £60+ start and no reserve so always good to watch out: I got mine from there for £130 delivered ish ;)
The main idea was I could run internet explorer with a spare pay as you go mobile internet dongle (like the contract one I have now with 3) as well as satnav (running concurrently with Google Maps to see exactly where the place is and see the route in full with aerial shots etc, plus manage my iPod for my Alpine ida-x001 (hopefully replace soon with ida-x305) headunit, as well as run engine management software etc, plus external hard drives to play films, update my road-angel if I ever get round to finding it as well as all other softwares etc etc.... the possibilities are ENDLESS!

As for installing one theyre not amazingly difficult, power is the main issue but you can get adaptors quite easily I just never really bothered and it got forgotten. That one I linked comes with its own car power adaptor which you could easily cut the head off and splice into the car's ACC ON power line (with a switch somewhere accessible from the driver/passenger seats) and earth it somewhere decent (any metal part of the car's body will do) do the same for the screen and thats the main it out of the way! Then all you need is a simple VGA cable and USB cable (you will see which you need when you have a touch screen compatible screen and theyre all common types in 3 different styles) and your screen is good to go.
I would recommend a bluetooth keyboard with scroller-ball on it for controlling it. Then take a 3.5mm audio jack lead with a 3.5mm->rca convertor, and run that to an amp, then to your speakers and you have sound and control and youre away!
Then later you can add your USB hub's, internet dongles, GPS antenna, TV card etc etc etc as if it were any normal PC ;)

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
If you really wanted to splash out then go for something like this:

[ebay]220497023426[/ebay]

That bad boy does the works, even monitors your car battery and reacts to try and save it so you'll never need a jump start (in theory) however this may/may not also kill the alarm but I'm sure that would be rectifiable.
It's all a bit moot as you're clearly not going to want to shell out £1300 BUT if you had that kind of money for I.C.E....... :shock: :D

·
Banned
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so technically with the in car pc, i could do away with the normal cd player and have all my music on the computer? thats awsome! im definately going to look into it. i have big plans for the car. The pc wasnt one of them but is now top of the list :D thats so cool. i think i could spare about 400 in total for pc and screen. just a matter of waiting for the right stuff to come about.

thanks so much for the help.

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
I had a computer in my car for about a year.. I got sick of it and put a head unit back in.. then the next year I didnt use the computer and then I took it out.. it was a novelty for about a week

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I think the idea is a novelty and can get boring pretty quickly, and its not the quickets thing to go from "I have an idea..." to it running smoothly in the car.

BUT

If youre serious about computers, and I know some people that are, then like I say the possibilities are endless. So many people go on about "Mafterburners" well I don't have a clue what they are but I gather it is some form of computer altered device that controls the air/fuel ratio - well with a car PC it is something you could have open in the background to alter as youre driving surely? And as far as I'm aware there's plenty of engine management software that could just use the screen as a display for a hell of a lot more than the multiguage can show on 3 dials?
Also I could never get into the Fast and the Furious films but from what I saw they had NOS controlled by computers... WHY NOT?? A car PC isn't essential by any means whatsoever, but if you have the idea that certain things SHOULD be done just because they CAN, then it's a brilliant first step. And it's one that can grow and grow untill you basically have no need for an ECU, a single DIN cd player mounted below the console can sort the music, the rest of the entire car can be controlled from the PC in the middle, all touch screen: and why not eventually get rid of all buttons, why not strive to open the windows, sunroof, control the mirrors and lights from the PC? Nothing is impossible, it can be very expensive but look at LiamYellow's old coupe from UKHCS, if you can dream it and have money you can do it :D

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
lukewood said:
ahhh its ok im easiely entertained lol

what do you think to this tris? it looks to have most bits i need but im no expert..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12-24volt-Car-PC- ... 518336d449
That looks like the exact same PC unit I bought, only it includes the screen and that keyboard is PERFECT. They don't go into much detail on the actual unit and what's included but youre probably safe as I even think it's the same seller ;)
I'd email them and state what you're looking for and ask them to cross check the spec's, and what EXACTLY they include with the sale (e.g. is it a mains plug with power brick like mine came with, or a car adapter) and the same for the screen but that's a good block to start from ;)

·
Banned
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah ill email them and get as much info as i can. thanks again for the help m8. looks like ill be having fun with this car afterall :D its not just a pain in the backside lol

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
lukewood said:
yeah ill email them and get as much info as i can. thanks again for the help m8. looks like ill be having fun with this car afterall :D its not just a pain in the backside lol
Hahaha, if you have issues then I suggest a road-trip up to wigan. The place my IT guru mate got his install professionally done was DP AUDIO which happens to be based round my way in Ashton-in-Makerfield. For him they helped with wiring and console moulding etc.

I just took my siii console to get cut and the gen3 climate control unit moulded in there, but they will aceept projects by mail (e.g. you get hold of a console from a breakers and send it in along with the screen you can get it moulded in seamlessly ;) )

1 - 15 of 15 Posts