Hyundai Coupe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys, been having this problem with my gen 1 since a service last, over about 40 mph the pedal vibrates, which steadily gets worst the faster i go, motorway speeds the steering wheels shakes, no vibration whats so ever under 40ish mph?? now the brakes work fine, very good infact as there only new (well 6-8 weeks old) replaces both disks and pads as i was told it was a warped disc, but new pads made zero difference what so ever??

so what should i be looking for or at???

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, but i do need tyres, but sure then when accelerating to say 80 i'd get a vibration?? but its only when i brake?? im very confused! lol

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
could be an misaligned pad, I know mine rattle because they are aftermarket pads and dont have the shims the hyundai ones have

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
maybe thats it, i have come across the pads being very squeeky when i'm braking at v low speeds, like in traffic when ur just dribbling along,

so maybe i should buy new pads and get them done properly and make sure there aligned?

·
Banned
169 Posts
Yeah if they're squeaking then there's something not quite right - only race pads should really be noisy when cold.

I'd be tempted to take them somewhere and get new pads fitted, explain the problem to them and get them to check everything's right. As for the wobble I'd always say it's a warped disk, but you say you've replaced them? Do you park with the handbrake on when the disks are hot?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
maybe just coz they cheap?? what about red stuff pads? are they good,bad or indifferent!??

i was on sharky and he said that it could actually be a wheel balance problem, so i'll look into that 1st anyway!! (shud be cheapest solution! :) )

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
if you're getting squeeking when braking at slow speeds it probably is the pads, the squeeking is probably the corner of the pad scraping the disk because of it not fitting right, I get the same.. I think it's a false economy, I buy cheap pads, but they only last half as long because I can only use them to the point where they are too thin to fit the holders and start rattling about. but at the time of replacing the pads I'm normally skint so it's a vicious circle.

·
Banned
169 Posts
I'm running EBC Redstuffs at the moment, which are more suited to my track days then road use -- some people say they're awful for road as they work best when they're warm, but personally I've had no problems.

If you don't do track days, go for EBC Greenstuff.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea i may look into gettin them alright, here there good, to be honest the ones i have stop the car REALLY good if not too good, can skid if i'm not careful on emergency braking, (1.6 gen 1 don't got abs!)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi,
Just want to tell you about a similar problem on my sons VW Golf. Had two new sets of discs and pads and tyres were pretty good too. As a means of narrowing down the problem I suggested he change the wheels to see if they made any difference. They did, the problem went even though the alloys were properly balanced.
We believe that the alloys were warped and balancing won't solve it.
Suggest obtaining a set of wheels and tyres for a test drive and see if this improves the situation If not, you've still narrowed down the problem areas.
Uncle Buck

·
Registered
198 Posts
i use ebc green stuffs.

berni

i replaced my discs and pads and im having the same problem theyve told me its a warped disc but the vibration is definitely coming from the front axis,

hand brake parking is not a problem even when brakes are hot to be quite honnest,

thats why rear discs are made solid

depending on which discs you have which depends on which one of the two versions of gen 1 there is

they have different discs dues to cooling problems int he first model.

sadly only some of the 99 models have the new discs,

if your discs are newly fitted and uprated your best bet is to get your car on axels stand and get a depth gauge on a jog adn turn your wheels this will tell you is your disc is warped.

you can do the same by putting your disc on a lathe and performing a simalar measuring technique.

if theres a problem ship them back and claim under the discs warrenty

how ever im not going to waste time,

go to the garage.

tell them that the caliper and disc pads are missaligned and this should have been picked up in the service.

get them to get your wheels off and re-fit your calipers

see if you have the same problem driving if so then you know its a warped disc,

hope that helps a little

·
Registered
198 Posts
Uncle Buck said:
Hi,
Just want to tell you about a similar problem on my sons VW Golf. Had two new sets of discs and pads and tyres were pretty good too. As a means of narrowing down the problem I suggested he change the wheels to see if they made any difference. They did, the problem went even though the alloys were properly balanced.
We believe that the alloys were warped and balancing won't solve it.
Suggest obtaining a set of wheels and tyres for a test drive and see if this improves the situation If not, you've still narrowed down the problem areas.
Uncle Buck
ive swapped my wheels around and still have the same issues

·
Registered
25 Posts
B*gg*r, Thought that might have done the trick. Sorry.
Hope you find what it is but it sounds like a real pain in the *rse to find the cause.
Uncle Buck

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
miller, my cars not lowered no, mr.uncle buck i'm on the search for new alloys at the min so i hope to be gettin them, balanced and put on etc as i've my NCT (MOT) to do on the 29th, i do remember them sayin that i need new tyres and that they swapped around tyres i think tho, must find that sheet of paper,

miller, i've got the new brakes (i think i have the non-captive rotors)
but also i got the pads and disks off ebay and not from the garage, so i can't get them to do em as you said (trust me if i did it would have been straight back!!)

so i'm gonna bringing it to a local mechanic who is a nice guy and always looked after my mum so hopefully he can help me narrow it down!!

thanks for all the replies guy!! much appreciated! :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
no problem but if you can proove the run out on your discs surely theres a warrenty or receipt you can send them back to the ebay seller ??

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
true but i don't think i'd have to, surely they not warped as they still new, wasn't like it stopped and came back, stayed crap you know!! hmmmmmm

1 - 20 of 26 Posts