Hyundai Coupe Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys.

Should be picking up my Coupe later in the week! Grin It's a gen 3.5 model in black and has done 40k.

I've paid the deposit but the purchase is subject to a more thorough viewing when I go back later in the week.

Is there anything in particular I should look out for on this model? Anything that is likely to be dead or not working? As always, any advice appreciated!

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
electrics are the usual problem.try windows,shake at top to check not loose where some numpty has used window as door handle,try central locking several times,check power steering reservoir aint leaking.

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
Just want to revive this thread, as I'm in a very similar situation, I'm looking at a 2002 car with 31k so is there any places to check for rust, and anything else that's been forgotten?

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
first exterior.look round the sunroof and the back arches,open the bonnet and check inside front lip and look at welds on supports.open doors-they are heavy.do they shut properly? shake the tops of the windows check for movement.

open and lock several times.is central locking all working try several times when get opportunity........if its a scorpion alarm does it go off?does the sunroof and all the windows.....does handbrake work properly?or does it come too high.check all switches work and airbag and abs lights go out.listen for rattles inside and when starting.go for a drive-does it pull one way.check for oil and water leaks when warmed up

·
Registered
10 Posts
2005 Hyundai Coupe 2.0 SE (05 reg) Coupe 24,015 miles Manual 2.0L Petrol

thinking of buying one - see post below

anything I should look out for on these - have been told electrics can sometimes be an issue - anything else?

cheers

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
I've merged your post with this one, it's on the same topic and will not only give you a chance to see the advice above, but revive the thread just in case anyone has anymore to add.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The missus and I set a budget of £3000for a low mileage gen 3.We looked locally in garages and on the 'net but all we saw were cars with poor bodywork(srapes,door dints)and starship mileage.So we upped our budget to £4000 and looked further afield.As I've said on another post we went to Worcester and Rhyll on one trip,and we learnt a valuble lesson in that both cars didn't live up to the adverts.The sellers conception of IMMACULATE CONDITION seems to vary considerably.I used about £45 of fuel but I still had my £4000 in my pocket.Last Oct we saw an 02 reg,45000ml,gen 3 fsh,1 lady owner,serviced 2000miles previously,no door dints in Scotland.30 mins of wheelin an dealin so to speak,deposit paid,pick it up the following Tues,then drive 330 miles back home.Overall we think we have got a lot of car for not a lot of money.In the recent sub zero weather it started 1st time everytime on the key.You just have to be patient and wait for right car to come along so to speak.
chicken coupe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi, just reviving this thread a little.

The posts above were a great help, but just want some more advice specific to my situation.

Ill have a budget of around £4k, and Im looking for a Gen3 or 3.5 (the 2.0 versions), what sort fo mileage can I expect to get for that sort of money? Ive been offered one by a friends Dad who is a car dealer for £3700, thats got 75000 on the clock and is an Auto.

Im really looking for 50000m maximum, 40 preferable. Can I expect to get one with that low mileage for £4k?

Im just coming out of 2 years ownership of an MGRover, and those cars obviously have well documented common problems.

Apart from the above, is there anything in particular I should be looking for on a Coupe? Obviously with the MG every second one seems to have coolant/head gasket issues, is there a similar common fault with Coupes?

Many thanks, all help appreciated!

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
right,no similar problems to that with coupes
central locking your biggest headache and rattly engines(although they all rattle especially when not used so take a looooooooooong test drive)
you actually want one over 50,000.why? cos there's a killer service at 50,000 that costs about 400 quid at a dealer.we even heard one quote......600.mileage is not usually an issue on any engine(apart from 1.6 and my old one did 200,000 but it was a wheezy old thing).auto's are never as popular or smooth as the manual but still a sound buy.try get price down a bit and check that big service been done

·
Registered
25 Posts
No under 50000, sorry I must have mis-typed.

Im saying I would prefer one a lot less than 50000, but Im being offered a 70000 Auto for £3700, seems steep to me.

When you say rattly is that just the norm, is it irritatingly loud?

£400 for a service bloody hell, I might get one thats done 51000 then I think hehe.

Anything else that I should check has been done, any specific belts or anything?

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
thats why im saying you want one over 50.the cost of the service is massive.why would you want mileage alot less it does you no favours with hyundai.
just rattly not irritating

·
Registered
25 Posts
Oh right I see, sorry getting wires crossed here.

So Im better off getting one over 50? I usually prefer to get lower milers to be honest, but dont really know a lot about these engines yet.

What sort of mileage do you reckon I should be looking for, 60 odd?

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
if the service has been done with the money you have 50 or over.
but remember if you get a deal where you get 500 or more off........you've already covered the price of the service.these engines are very long lived

·
Registered
215 Posts
I paid £3500 for my Gen 3 ('53 plate) in November just gone. It had 57,000 on the clock when I bought it. That was a private sale in the Tipton area, just to give you an idea of price.

Downside was previous owners hadn't serviced it past about 30k I think, however I promptly took it to Sharky in Brum and had the cam belt changed and the 60k service performed (Around £400 all in). After having a look at the car, Sharky pointed out I would be needing new brakes, (discs and pads, £200) and my air con belt would need changing at some point (£??).

Aside from that, I've had to replace the passenger door actuator (Central locking motor) that cost me £27 from eBay and was fitted in under an hour.

All in all, yes, the car has cost me a lot, and I'd rather have just bought it and drove it, but this is the real world and owning a nice car comes with nice prices to look after it properly.

Now all my niggles are sorted, the cars reliability should shine through and hopefully my only costs will be servicing and touching it in inappropriate ways. :p :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have been trying to search for ones with full or at least part service history, or at least something to show its been looked after.

Ive generally been pretty careful with cars in the past but have never owned a Coupe before so its just taking a bit of time getting out of the MGRover mindset!

How many miles do you have on the clock now Speedy? One thing I have heard is that these engines are good for massively high mileage and will go on for a long time?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've no idea. My display is permanently set to trip miles. If I remember, I will try to check next time I get in the car. Don't think I've covered that many miles though.

Thing is, all cars have problems. Should you ever come into some money and decide to drop around £120k on one of the nicer cars out there, you can almost guarantee you'll be back to the dealers a few times within it's first few years of life. Some people are fortunate enough to run up 200,000 miles before their car even begins to squeak, yet others can't even take a left turn without body panels falling off and the engine exploding.

I do agree with trying to find one with service history. However, again, that can be a minefield. Just because there is a stamp in the book it doesn't mean all the right components, oils, etc have been used, nor does it mean the car has actually BEEN serviced (Same goes for MOT's ... all depends who you know).

All said and done.. any car which isn't an MG, does have the advantage of not being built in a garden shed in Birmingham. :p :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
All very true.

I guess Ill just have to keep searching and looking for that right one, should be able to figure out what sort of history the car when meeting the owner.

I dont want to sound fussy but another point is that most of them on sale seem to be silver, and silver is not a colour I want! I suppose a respray could be an option further down the line.

Are there any cheap, quick and easy mods you can do within the first month of ownership, for example engine starter buttons etc?

SPeedY_B said:
All said and done.. any car which isn't an MG, does have the advantage of not being built in a garden shed in Birmingham. :p :D
Now that is very true! :cry:

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
hyundai keep computer records so you can check what they've done to any car

1 - 18 of 18 Posts