Hyundai Coupe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the CAI fitted, (complete with TB heater bypass) but got a major problem, the aluminium pipe it came with came it 2 lengths, if I fitted it as a sri with just the shorter length and it just sucked in hot air from being next to the engine, so I added the longer length, however it now leaves the filter right behind the fan, which draws hot air, and feeds it right into the filter.
So my questions are, where can I get some more lenghts of pipe?
And is aluminium the best material for pipe? as metal conducts heat, so wouldn't it warm up the air? Should I replace the whole pipe with something else?

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
it's my opinion that the material really doesnt make that much of a difference as the air is moving quicky enough and probably wont have time to heat enough to matter.

as for the pipes have you tried all rotations as its often possible to get it under the battery where the air will be a little cooler.

other people have experimented with ducting, like you get in a tumble dryer to get an even cooler source and bring it to the filter.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Sounds like youve fitted it slightly wrong mate! as LiDL said it should fit nicely under the battery, just try twisting the bottom half to see if you can position it any better? If not this is how ive done mine, it started life as the full cai but was converted to an SRI to achieve a better induction sound. To get some much needed cold air in there ive fitted an aluminium cold air feed.

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Initially had the sri set up exactly as you have yours Ash, but with no ducting before the filter, I can't get it under the battery, as its over as far as it will go without hitting the battery tray. However it only needs dropping down a few inches and it'll sit in the big open vent in the front splitter.

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hers the setup I got at the moment, its as far across as it'll go, and its right behind the fan drawing hot air out of the radiator.

Heres my fiances puma, the cone filter (bottom right) it came with had a shield on it, when I removed it it seemed to make the car worse, especially the sound. Would making something like this solve my problem?

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LiDL said:
You can buy filters with the shield on, but I always thought it was a halfrauds bling thing ;)
So did I, I'd assumed it meant less air gets sucked through the filter, but theres also the theory that if I fit one, the hot air from the fan will just flow around the shield, whilst only cold air under the car will get sucked through the end of the filter. Have "borrowed" some thin sheets of metal from work, will play around this weekend and let you know the result.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
eggcatcher can you get a pic so we can see the whole setup? it just look sooo.... wrong! :? hmmm i wouldnt be overly enthusiastic about putting one of those halforauds filters on my car to be honest.. can i ask where you got your cai from? Sorry if youve already mentioned that somewhere!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
hmmm it needs to be more this doesnt it! Have you tried just twisting the bottom pipe to find the best fit possible?

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can see you got about 6-7" more length on your pipe (insert owns jokes here), allowing it to fit under tray, and under fan, mines hitting the battery, won't go any further across.

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have tried the homemade heatsheild, got aqround 2mpg more from the last tank, and seems a bit better at the top of the rev range, but throttle response and building up revs seems to be worse, so im going back to plan A, anyone know where I can get a 6-7" length of straight pipe, with connectors?

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
happy days then job sorted! :D

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
eggcatcher said:
Finally got problem sorted, found this site
http://www.regals-motorsport.co.uk/
Got anything you could wish for if you're looking for individual lengths of pipe for custom jobs, whether its air intake, turbo, radiators or anything else that needs piping.
Great find!!! Been looking for hoses etc to do my engine bay.

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got to go back to the drawing board, the filter is working fine now its hanging lower than the fan, but is to close to any puddles that I may drive through, and could suck up spray.
Probably going to copy Ash's, with the SRI fed by tumbledrier pipe. Will refit the homemade heatshield, as have chatted to a local tuning pro's at Modified live, they aren't for decoration, they do reduce heatsoak.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i went 2 b&q and got some flexi circular tubin for £10 lol does the trick also does not heat up because its rubber and also its kept tucked away from the engine, i fed it down past the battery and into the right hand side so it comes out a lil at the bottem of the engine near the right passenger side wheel.. so its kept cool.. its a bigger width than the old flexi tube that came with my DIA induction kit and i cliped it on to the induction kit so it sucks in cold air away from the engine and no warm air, this will make better performance. :D

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
yep in theory.until it reaches your red hot manifold when all advantages are lost.thats why i put the intake manifold spacer on

1 - 20 of 22 Posts