Hyundai Coupe Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first coupe recently its a gen 1 i believe (98) and am rapidly falling out of love with it, which is not good!

Basically im having a few teething problems,

Firstly i cant figure out how to change the head unit from the basic clarion thing.

secondly my clock on the dash seems to work when it wants or when the car has been running for about half an hour.

thirdly while driving home today, creeping along in traffic i heard a strange high pitch noise when i moved sounded like it was coming from a wheel?

the last thing is that about every 10mins my windscreen and windows seem to steam up no matter what i do with the heating knobs unless i wack the A/C on for a few secs.

only niggling problems i know but they are adding up which sucks seeing as i only bought it on monday!
Any help would be very gratefully received, im sure youve prob had a few of these things before and prob bored of answering but please help! :oops:

·
Banned
115 Posts
your head unit troubles can be easiely sorted. although, my to fit my head unit i had to make a bracket to hold it in place. as long as your willing to put 2 little bits of metal either side its not a problem.

windows - blame on the weather!

the clock, i have the same problem, try changing the fuse or checking for a lose connection.

and the squeek, i aint entirely sure about.

but you will love the car. get some pics up if you can :D i love gen 1's

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Hi welcome to the club, They is a post titled Removing dash gen1 / 2 if you folow the first 4 or 6 instructions you will get to your cd player to change it. It is held in with 2 brackets that screw into the side of the cd player then into the dash. You need to unscrew it from the dash then unscrew the brackets from the cd player and then screw in to the new unit. It will all make sense once you get down to doing do it.

The squeel could be down to a number of things. Check brake pads, check the condition of them. also if the dust thing that covers the back of the disk could be touching slightly. If you had new pads fitted recently they may of not put the shims back in on the caliper but this would cause them to rattle more than squeel.

As for the steamy windows give them a good clean and then get some of that anti fog stuff. That'll keep the misting down abit. I have to keep my air setting on windscreen only and full blast with hot air when it starts misting up.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Is it actually getting to the headunit your struggling with? You have to remove the gear surround which pops off with a good tug and then the same for the piece of dash surrounding the cd player, a good old tug and it will pop out! If you need some brackets pm me your address and ill send you some!

The flickering clock is a common fault on the gen1's its down to bad soldering! To fix you will need to remove the dash and re solder the connections. Alot of work for such a small problem! Alot of people have stuck black pvc tape over it and forgot about or learnt to live with it.

I had a squeeky noise from mine earlier this year and it ended up being a seized caliper which had worn the pad away so bad the pads housing was scraping on the disc! Jack the car up and try turning the wheel in question if its hard to turn its the caliper.

As for the windows keeping the heater on warm should solve the problem really.

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
hello mate

you've met the illustrious hyundai disco clock then huh? common fault.sounds like you got wheel bearing going at front

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks alot for all the feedback, ill take a look at the sugestions, and it is mainly just trying to get to the head unit in the first place to be honest but ill try to take the gear surround and then the dash bit off, just worried about breaking it!
ill try n get some pics up soon, only found the club this afternoon, but liking it already,
thanks for all your help, ill keep you posted =]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome thanks, the head unit is now changed, and feel abit silly at how simple it seemed!
I guess ill have to get used to disco clock and ill get it up on jacks to check the wheels hopefully this weekend.
Ill upload a pic soon too,
thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
I was the same, after having to replace a dash on a previous car after I just ripped it out, I thought I'd better ask 1st, and it was simple

·
Registered
30 Posts
a week after buyin mine i noticed the clock not workin properly and now ive got a bad noise comin from rear which sounds like its comin from the wheel too if i brake the noise goes but its constant wen driving ,like u niggles nut annoying iv only just bought mine too

1 - 15 of 15 Posts