Hyundai Coupe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Please could someone help me. I have just taken my car for MOT and it has failed on the emmisions. :( (Too much fuel is being burnt - MOT guy told me that).

How do I fix this problem, he mentioned a Lambda sensor - does this need replacing?

Please please help. On the plus side, everything else was fine. :)

Thanks,
Kelly

*moved to engine,bit more suitable not really general maintenance*dupe

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
the lambda sensor is usually a good place to start with a high emissions reading! Id say get that changed as the first point of call

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
do an ecu reset too.that can have surprising results

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
In older engines sticking a bottle of red-x in the tank next time you fill up with petrol may help, got mine next week, just stuck a bottle in.
Check you get the right one, you want something that cleans the fuelline, and reduces emissions. theres plenty to choose from, some claim to add octanes/bhp, most are crap, don't waste the money. However the right one will help.

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
i remember redex being done for "false and unrealistic claims"
none of this stuff really does much,but can help a little bit.but not enough in this case i suspect

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thedupleman said:
do an ecu reset too.that can have surprising results
How do I do this?

Also, where do would I buy a lambda sensor and does anyone know what kind of price they are?

Thanks for your help.
Kelly

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
the easiest way of doing an ecu reset is to take the battery lead off turn ignition on and leave for about 60 seconds.put back on and it'll reset itself.you might find it goes a bit faster too! where are you from? sharky is your best bet if your near birmingham.he does a club discount too,we also have essex tech down south but we dont have anyone up north-yet.both essex tech and sharky look after club members and charge very reasonable prices

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
thedupleman said:
i remember redex being done for "false and unrealistic claims"
none of this stuff really does much,but can help a little bit.but not enough in this case i suspect
Most of the claims are crap, but it has helped older cars through an MOT. Won't work on yours though, as its too new. May work on the Gen1.
The other option for you Kelly is to use your feminine charms, Dupleman please don't try that method.

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
damn! *rips dress off*

kelly update your profile so we know where your from!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thedupleman said:
damn! *rips dress off*

kelly update your profile so we know where your from!
I have updated my profile.

I am from North Wales so both Birmingham and Essex are a little far.

I will try the red ex stuff, cant hurt and will also try resetting the ECU, now I know how :)

I have been on ebay looking for a lambda sensor but i'm not too sure what I am looking for really.

thedupleman said:
The other option for you Kelly is to use your feminine charms, Dupleman please don't try that method
I tried this when I took it up for the MOT and he told me that there was nothing he could do with regards the emmissions :(

Thanks all,
Kel

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
if it was gonna cost me a bomb i birmingham sounds a good bet mate!.any garage could get you one think they cost anywhere from 80 quid to about 150.hyundai will be expensive,so il have a look see what i can find

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
hellokitty0407 said:
[
I am from North Wales so both Birmingham and Essex are a little far.

I tried this when I took it up for the MOT and he told me that there was nothing he could do with regards the emmissions :(

Thanks all,
Kel
Maybe the garage would prefer Dupleman to use his charms.
North Wales, isn't that where Richard Brunstrom and the traffic taliban operate? Wouldn't want to get caught without an MOT by him, he'd try and get you a life sentance.

·
Registered
13,388 Posts

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
thedupleman said:
if it was gonna cost me a bomb i birmingham sounds a good bet mate!.any garage could get you one think they cost anywhere from 80 quid to about 150.hyundai will be expensive,so il have a look see what i can find
Trying a company such as EU can often save money, but downsides are they'll only deliver, and it won't nessecarily be manufacturer parts. I had a TPS sensor replacement, on here I was told £70, EU price £25, non-hyundai part, and so far its not gone wrong, unlike Hyundai ones which regularly do..

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
may i just abuse him then?-in the verbal way-dont get excited eggcatcher

just make sure you get a fitting quote befofre you decide to buy one,and compare a few first

·
Registered
15 Posts
Okay. I think a lot of these problems still stem from the cheap fuel(silicone)scare from 3 years back. Anyway you boys and girls should ask for the emission failure figures and see what they are first. Then we can go from there!! :D

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
see? him and sharky are like spiderman.they swing in at just the right moment to save the day!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
EssexTech said:
Okay. I think a lot of these problems still stem from the cheap fuel(silicone)scare from 3 years back. Anyway you boys and girls should ask for the emission failure figures and see what they are first. Then we can go from there!! :D
I did take note of the figures. It should have been reading at 0.200 and it was reading at 0.857. The other two readings below were OK. Hope this helps?

Thanks,
Kelly

1 - 20 of 34 Posts