Hyundai Coupe Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been toying with this for a while, but basically does the breather pipe at the top of the engine need to go into the intake pipe?
Its the one that take excess exhaust gases that haven't gone through the exhaust and sends them back round again, I know I can't block the pipe, as it'll overheat the engine, but can I just vent them into atmosphere?

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
well you can but it is illegal to vent in atmosphere

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
you can get one of them mini filters, or an oil catch tank with a filter rather than a reloop to the intake would be fine

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
yep oil catch tanks are really good

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Hmm quite like the look of these catch cans is it a worth while thing to do. Or is it mainly a pretty bit of metal for the engine bay??

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jrp210 said:
Hmm quite like the look of these catch cans is it a worth while thing to do. Or is it mainly a pretty bit of metal for the engine bay??
Im still undecided whether to do this or not, but at the moment any exhaust gases that don't get sucked out the exhaust, and dregs of oil, have to escape the top of the engine, or it will pressurise and/or overheat, the solution most manufacturers use is to vent it into the intake via the breather pipe. To be honest I don't think I'll notice any difference, its just I won't have oil going through and clogging up the throttle bodies and inlets.
My mates missus had a Cai fitted to her puma, and the person who did it for her blocked up the breather pipe, which lead to serious overheating problems.

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
like mine.nice clean throttle body

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
yeah I've noticed oil in my intake, the rubber joins are actually discoloured because of it, I've been meaning to get a catch tank, but i've been meaning to do lots of things

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got the tank fitted, and plumbed in, but am i seeing things, or are there 2 breather pipes? One from top of the block to air pipe just before throttle body, and another into inlet manifold after TB?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I thing I have something similar on my 1998 Accent's engine. One of them goes through something that looks like a long nut, which is a pressure control valve (PCV), into the manifold, the other comes out of the rocker cover right next to it, but goes into the bottom of the Throttlebody just before the butterfly valve.

The only thing I can think of is that the one that comes in before the throttlebody is the main breather - however the one with the PCV into the manifold is there for situations where you are at idle for long periods, to allow excess pressure to be released from the rocker cover into the manifold.

Personally I wouldn't attach a breather filter to the main hose, as it will eventually get clogged with oil and you'll be relying on the PVC valve to work (which can get stuck) to release pressure from your rocker cover.

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Theres no valve on the other hose, and by PCV do you mean a pressure relief valve? I just happen to be a releif vavle technician by trade, so if you're having probs with it getting stuck open I can get it on a test rig for you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah the PCV valve is a pressure relief valve. Hyundai use different terminology to us Brits, e.g. ECM = Engine Control Module (ECU to us) - which sometimes makes understanding systems in the workshop manuals a little difficult and confusing :roll:

I think the problem relating to the PCV valve is that it can get stuck closed - being stuck open isn't really a problem, except it will probably increase the oil consumption of your engine. I have a spare rocker cover for the Gen1 2.0 Coupe engine in my Accent Project so will have to dig that out and see if it has a PCV valve on it or in it.

... Just been out to the car and grabbed it - there is a PCV valve on the left hand hose (looking from the front) - it's got some kinda foam tube around it though which hides it - you'll probably need to disconnect the hose in order to get the foam tube bit off ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts