Hyundai Coupe Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I receny brought myself a hyundai coupe 1.6 se 51 plate, i have done a number of repairs i.e. new gearstick gator, clutch slave and master os front wheel bearing, track rod end and mini service.
the one bit im unsure of is there is a crunch on second gear not if im gentle , is this just gearbox oil or is my sincro mesh up the swany ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thank you . Is there a drain plug like on the sump or do i have to pump it out through the top up plug ?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
There is a drain plug very near the filler plug on the front of the gearbox. The filler plug is exactly vertical, and the oil level should be level with (or no more than 5mm below) the plug threads. The drain plug is just below that, and is angled around 45deg downwards.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much. If anyone needs advice on changing a front wheel bearing , i have just done mine and its no mean feet

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more question, i got in my car (gen 2, 1.6se) today after fitting a new track rod end. i tapped the throttle one or twice and to my horror blue smoke came bellowing out of the exaust . Is my head gasket gone ?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
No. Steam (copious amounts, all the time) is a symptom of HGF...it's far from common on the Coupe.

If it's been stood a while it could be that, or valve stem seals (probably cheaper to replace the head than faff with seals) or piston wear, or incorrect oil grade...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ran it up for 20 mins the blue smoke cleared i then let cool down for 2 hours Then checked the oil lv again and it was exactly on the max as it was when i filled it up, checked expansion tank no oil. The white smoke cleared up after the 20 min run. So fingers crossed it was just burning off oil from the maintenance i have done

1 - 8 of 8 Posts