Hyundai Coupe Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lights off

Lights on ( sorry for the poor pic quality, there off the old 1.3 megapixel camera phone)

What you will need:

1x roll of elctrical tape better than masking tape for this job!
1x can of satin black spray paint (or the colour of your choice), can be picked up from halfords!
1x can of acrylic laquer, also from halfords
1x bottle of clear Tcut.
1x led tail lights from halfords (optional)

So first off give the lights a good clean and then leave to dry

next up, mask off the indicator/reverse part of the lense this is where you see the benefit of using the electrical tape as you can manipulate it alot more than masking tape so you can follow the curves alot better!

Then you need to give the lights 2 seperate coats of satin black! id recommend holding the can around 30cm away when spraying!

So when the 2 coats are dried you need to use the Tcut! same way as you would on the car! a small dab on the cloth rub onto the lights and then rub in until its all gone so to speak. then leave the lights to dry for five minutes. you need to repeat the tcut process at least twice probabaly more i did it 4 times! The easiest way to check if there ready is to plug them in the car and turn the lights on to see how well the lights showing through!

When your satisfied with the lights remove the electrical tape and then you need to lay them flat and give them 4/5 coats of the acrylic laquer! be more careful when spraying the laquer as it is more prone to runs etc than the paint! again id recommend to spray from around 30cm away! Between each coat i used a hairdryer to speed up the process of drying and found it worked pretty well!

Then if you chose to get some pop in the led bulbs and put the lights back in the car! The reason i say the led's are optional is i didnt bother using them but they would improve the overall quality of light showing through by a substantial amount!

·
Registered
340 Posts
This was pretty much my first ever mod to a car full stop! And I have to say ash guided me through it and wow it was an awesome result! The key is patient! It's almost worth buyin a 2nd set and doing em over say 2 weeks when your not rushing, imtempted to do that again! But otherwise it's still one of my favourite mods!

·
Super Moderator
2,053 Posts
good guide mate, just to note that any LED brake lights will make the Cruise Control unit unuseable, LED reverse lights come well recommended though ;)

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if you can get matt silver then i would say so. I would recommend trying it on an old light or something first though just to make sure it still works :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Daveman, that looks savage. How about this though? Debadged and spoiler brakelight tinted:

edit: just noticed I left the (H) on ;)
Here it is without:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey man. Great mod, just wondering, any trouble from the law about these? Cos I get followed everywhere I go down here. Working in a pub so the police follow me thinking I'm parked there drinking all day.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I never had any trouble with them and I had been pulled for other things whilst they were in. One thing i should have mentioned is you WILL need to fit some reflectors as doing your lights this way does black out the reflectors.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've a set of lexus lights for the Gen ! if anyone is interested. No good to me as i have the Gen 2..

·
Registered
266 Posts
My gen II Failed its MOT with my lights tinted not enough light pased through, no refelxtion and reverse light was practicly non showing =(

Had to buy some new rear lights!

Even my fog lights that i tinted got denied boo for tinting mod :cry:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts