Hyundai Coupe Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my indicators seem to be playing up, i drove my car for the first time in a couple of days since the big freeze and after defrosting my car this morning i noticed that the indicators were playin up.

Basically at first they started blinkin on the dash n then stoped after a couple of flashed but then they stopped alltogether, not sure if they are still flashing the lights outside, but then this afternoon they started working again and then soon as i got home they stopped!

anyone got any ideas?? as this is gona stop me driving safely! :!:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Is the problem the same when indicating both left and right?
Does the hazard flasher work normally?

It sounds like nothing more serious than a bad connection somewhere, but we'll need more detailed information to diagnose properly at a range of 300miles or so!

·
Registered
596 Posts
grifini,
You'll need to check a Gen 1 wiring digram to confirm, but I believe the hazzards and the indicators use the same relay.
If that is so then the relay and the wires to the individual indicators appears to be ok.
That leaves the Steering column switch.
Again you'll need to check the wiring diagram to confirm the correct colour wires and thus the correct connector block, but as a start try splitting, cleaning and reassembling the connector block on the steering column, there should only be one with wires running down from the indicator stalk.
Corrosion is normally quite visibe as a blue/green 'fur' on one or more of the pins. An electrical contact cleaner spray should get you sorted; although you may have to spray, clean, re-assemble, test, split, spray, clean, re-assemble, test etc a few times to get any really badly 'furred' contacts working 100%.

Cheers,
L of L

·
Registered
596 Posts
It's quite possible that in looking about under there you've disturbed something.
Normally the connectors clip together and lock, but it may be that at some time in the past one has been broken.
If you do find an unsecure one, just use a cable tie to firmly hold both halves together.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey ive not hads a chance to clean it but i had a quik look and seemed ok, today thou the hazards have gone too, everything else electrical works and ive checked and changed the fuses. wheres the relay and how can i get one? and where can i get a wiring diagram???

·
Registered
596 Posts
So your hazards quit after you inspected the connection block?
That sounds suspicious to me.

I've got a Gen so I'm assuming there are wiring differences.
The indicator relay is usually fitted in the fuse box, but where that is on a Gen1 I don't know.
Any Gen1 owners want to chime in on this one?

I did come across an on-line manual but ignored it as it's for the Gen1 / Gen2.
Anyone care to post a link?

This one sounds like it will take a bit of trial and error to sort, but not much in the way of ££££££.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

L of L

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what does the relay look like, theress a fitting with some little black and white boxes near the fuse block is that it? do i have to go to a dealer or would halfords have one?

thanks alot for your help thou mate!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Sounds correct.
The cover should have a diagram that details which relay is which.
Remove the indicator one and take it into Halfords.
The relay should be a standard fitting.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
problem is solved!! got my house mate involved, he had a look and diagnosed the "flasher unit" gave it a tap n it flickered the lights, so i knicked one off my other hyundai, the lantra (£95 beast waitin to be scrapped)and wala! thanks for all your help mate =]

·
Registered
596 Posts
Good to know you're sorted mate.
"Flasher unit" aka indicator relay.

I did say it would be a cheap fix :D

Now you know where it is, it may be an idea to take the old, dead, one into Halfords at some point and price up a replacement.

Then, if the Lantra relay snuffs it, you'll know what to do and how much it'll cost. :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sounds like a plan, the replacement is only temp as its from a scrapper so for peace of mind ill prob get another just in case!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts