Hyundai Coupe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening,
does anyone have any info about getting upto 200 bhp out of the 2.0l se power lump.
Any info would be much appreciated,
regards

neil 'dave'

·
Registered
18 Posts
ok well the way to start is full big bore exhaust , gas flowed and a ported an polished head , air intake system / this is to get loads of air in quick an exhaust gas's out quicky the next stage would be to get the ecu remaped then c what you are running an really after that the tuning can go as far or as little as you like e.g mechanical turbo conversion then lighten an blacend crank shaft pistons fly wheel an then a race gear box / or a super charger kit i do hope this info helps sorry too go on abit lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers for that bud, and there was me thinking i could just bolt on an induction kit hahahaha..... :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
to be honnest

thats the best place to start but dont get a cheap rubbish one, you want a forced air intake!

after that then you should be looking at your brakes and pads, uprate them,
and also your tyers
this is just my advise but id slap some eibach springs on as well, coupes have a tendance to swing their arses out

then start work on the engine.

always over conpensate your running gear before you increase the speed, safety first!
and going really fast and not being abel to stop is always a problem :)

·
Banned
169 Posts
Heh, thank you dupleman, you just saved me an awful lot of effort there!

This is a subject I feel particularly strongly about, so apologies if this sounds too much like a rant - it's not (I promise...) but I've seen too many people burn their hard-earned money on power missions on coupe's.

You will not get 200bhp from that car normally aspirated. I've got the V6 and I couldn't get mine anywhere near that without adding a blower.

You can add a CAI, get a remap, exhaust and headers, all the other mini-mods and reality is you'll probably get the car back up to the 134bhp it came out of the factory with, if it even did that.

Reality is that if you want a 200bhp car then you're starting with the wrong car - the engine was never made to take that power so you're looking at replacing pistons, conrods, valves, head, the whole lot. Even then you're adding a turbo or a charger if you want that kind of power.

If you go down that route then you'll end up with 230bhp odd as an absolute maximum and even then your engine will fall apart and piss oil everywhere every time you accellerate. Oh, but you'll be £5k worse off for the privilege.

Over on the "other forum" was an "unnamed person" who I don't want to get into a conversation about and hijack the post, but last thing I heard he'd spent as much on his Gen2 2.0l as he could've bought a Gen3 v6 for, and still didn't have as much power.

Induction kits will add 3-4bhp, remap maybe 10bhp, they're all minor mods - these aren't Evos or Scoobies we're playing with here, we've got Hyundai's and we just need to accept they're never going to be the fastest cars around and just enjoy driving them.

Don't mean to piss on anyone's fire here, but it's the truth and I hate seeing people getting carried away throwing money into car tuning to get piddling little gains which in reality could be achieved by just driving on a colder day.

Miller's got the right idea - your gains are not to be got from the engine, they're from uprating the brakes and suspension so you can brake later and corner harder - that's where you'll get the benefits of your spending, and you'll be much better off for it.

I'm done here.
O.

·
Registered
18 Posts
yeah well if this how you feel then keep it too yourself. if the man wonts to tune his car then give him the info he wonts everything is achieveable! his post is " info on tuning" not what you think of tuning.
an obviously when he has done the engine he will then need all the other stuff i.e brakes steering and suspention
you do know this is a hyundai coupe enthuiaste's site where if you know what your talking about then pass on your knowledge on too others

·
Banned
169 Posts
Okay, firstly forums are not about keeping "opinions" to yourself - they're there for people to share their thoughts. The guy wants to tune his car and yes, I'm all up for that - I've done work to my own car and I'm all up for people doing it but what he's after is simply not possible without spending thousands. **********************************************************************

It's nothing to do with "what I think of tuning" - I've seen many many cars be tuned and I know what's involved.

If you think that engine should be done before brakes and suspension when you are simply wrong I'm afraid - the car is built to the power it puts down and it you upgrade the engine without changing everything else to match then you will kill yourself, plain and simple.

This is a coupe site, you're right. And I'm a coupe owner who's been doing this for a few years now - I'm here passing on my knowledge to someone so he knows what he's getting to and I'm here to help him out, ***************************************************************

* i think what owain is trying to say is that this forum is here to reduce the rubbish posted on other sites, anything that owain is posting is true to his own knowledge, and his own opinion.

we respect that here and any knowledge is useful knowledge. constructive critisism is far more welcomed than blatent finger pointing and "no your wrong"

Edited by miller

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guy's guy's please so don't fight over little ol me....wow i feel special...

Honestly guys . . I am new to this so any info Good or Bad feed back is much appreciated and taken on board. i know too many people that have spent shed loads of money on trying to get more performance but to no avail..

Am liking the idea of suspension and brakes!!!

Question on induction kits if i may?
Can't find many UK tuning sites selling induction kits for 2.0se, is the KN57i kit quite a good one...or...does anyone know who does sell the better kits(forced) ones in the UK..

Thanks again and as i said good,bad or difference of opinon is much appreciated

regards
Neil

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
i see both sides.
your right when you say its the owners choice to waste money as he sees fit.if its right for him its not a waste.
but the biggest advantage anyone can have is EXPERIENCE.
we all know the tale who've been actively involved in the UKHCF about the lad who spent an absolute fortune on his engine.........and ruined his car by making it one that wouldnt run properly and was a horror to drive.
im now seeking 170bhp
thats with sri,intake manifold,catback,header sports cat,intake manifold spacer,vented bonnet(letting more heat out)and i have the header heat wrapped
im waiting to fit the header and sport cat,at the moment im kicking out about 155bhp.
if i get 170 il be chufffed but i doubt i will
owain is right when he says if your a power boy buy a 2.7-if your a big power boy you bought the wrong car.cos even the 2.7 v6 can be tuned for masses.
iv never aimed for big power im aiming to make it as powerful as it SHOULD have been.
but iv spent well over £1000 just doing what i done.
and i often ask..........is it really worth it???
for example i bought a cai.say it gave me 7bhp.when i fitted intake manifold throttle body sat at different angle so i had to convert to sri.that may have lost 3bhp,which all adds up.
two steps forward one step back.
throttle body next.wont make a lot of difference but im gonna try out of curiousity

back to the question.A v6 cai will fit a 2.0 and thats the way most people go.you may have to saw the pipe abit but what the hell part of the fun.one of the best and cheapest you can buy is the performance coupe own one.look on
www.performancecoupe.co.uk.
thats why you dont see many 2.0 ones cos v6 fits them too

·
Banned
169 Posts
When I got my SRI I accepted that it was more for the better noise and slightly de-restricted induction than it was for increased performance and just bought a crappy generic one off the shelf at a random shop.

Do I now have tons more power? No.

Does it sound awesome? Yes, yes it does :)

You'll probably find a fair few on eBay and as I say mine was a crappy one and it's lasted about 18 months so far, so don't feel the need to throw tons of cash at it straight away. If I'm ever bothered enough I might change it for a CAI, but then it wouldn't sound as good - even if I do end up changing it I've hardly wasted any money on the SRI. The very joy of modding is that if you don't like it you can just change it back off and try something else :)

Best of luck Neil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers bud...
Think i've decided that the look of the coupe is far better than major BHP, and as you say the noise of the SRI is a head turner.
so my new list comprises : SRI induction
Lowered Suspension
Tinted lexus style tail lights

Cheers for everyones input on my question about tuning

Laters
Neil

·
Registered
260 Posts
Owain said:
When I got my SRI I accepted that it was more for the better noise and slightly de-restricted induction than it was for increased performance and just bought a crappy generic one off the shelf at a random shop.

Do I now have tons more power? No.

Does it sound awesome? Yes, yes it does :)

You'll probably find a fair few on eBay and as I say mine was a crappy one and it's lasted about 18 months so far, so don't feel the need to throw tons of cash at it straight away. If I'm ever bothered enough I might change it for a CAI, but then it wouldn't sound as good - even if I do end up changing it I've hardly wasted any money on the SRI. The very joy of modding is that if you don't like it you can just change it back off and try something else :)

Best of luck Neil.
Owain, I did the same, £40 for a CAI and an hours work, it sounds great!!

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
i have to admit to liking my sri better than cai

·
Registered
260 Posts
Is there really much difference in bhp?? would have figured you are only looking at a couple of bhp difference...

(engines really not my thing!!! yet :mrgreen: )

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
hang on..........takes cover behind sofa.............
no

·
Banned
169 Posts
Heh (hiding behind sofa with Dup)

All these mini-mods involving induction and exhaust will possibly increase your rev-up speed marginally but there really aren't any power gains to be had.

The gains you'd get from replacing the air intake and exhaust, no matter how much you spend on them, are roughly equivalent to the amount of power you'd gain by just driving the car on a cold day rather than a warm day when the air is denser.

It depends what kind of guy you are - if you're like me and don't care what the car looks like as long as it sounds and drives as well as possible then get yourself a SRI and enjoy the noise. If you're all about the show & shine then get yourself a big chrome-plated CAI and it'll look awesome.

Either way it'll *sound* faster, and that's the important thing anyway. If you were too quick then no-one would be able to see you as you drive past making all that noise ;)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Lol, good stuff!!! I like the CAI, its shiny and I did notice a change in the noise, I'm hoping the new exhaust will add the last extra growl :D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts