Hyundai Coupe Forum banner

In common sense terms,which is the car of choice?

• The 2.0 I4

Votes: 31 77.5%
  • The 2.7 v6

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • i would still buy a v6

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • i would NOT buy a v6

Votes: 9 22.5%
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been nosing around and thinking about this.
lets assume(without insulting 1 and 2's)but knowing they have the same engines(lower down)so they can be involved-that the gen3 is the car most people are looking to buy these days.
androoooo and scout have recently changed up to 2.7v6 and dont seem particulary overwhelmed in fact androooo seems underwhelmed.
so my question is-is the 2.0 still the best at everything?.nearly every guide seems to think so.
lets look at a few facts-
you can now get a v6 for 2 grand(on 02)where as cheapest 2.0 i could see was 2500.so although the v6 is cheaper 2.0 holds value better.v6 heavy on fuel,2.0 better and 1.6 even better.tax expensive on v6,cheaper on others.v6 better power and more equipment like 6 speed box,but experts say 2.0 better balanced as v6 heavy.not much power wise between 1.6 and 2.0(i still say my 1.6 gen1 was as fast as standard 2.0 gen3),but advantages on having 1.6 if the other ideas on tax bands come out,however the little bit more power on 2.0 makes it more driveable.
so is the 2.0 still the sensible choice? the v6 is for the power boys for sure.......but what other advantages are there? opinions please!

·
Banned
169 Posts
Depends what you're after matey. I've got the v6 because it's my second car so I'm not too bothered about the extra running costs as it only does a few miles, and for the track days and bits it's the fastest Coupe you can get. It doesn't matter to me that because of the 17's it's more crashy on harsh roads, doesn't help that I've lowered it too.

If you'll be using the car day-to-day, I'd go for the 2.0. Better economy, holds its value better, lower tax, all the things you've said. I think there are probably more about, so getting parts should be easier too.

·
Registered
734 Posts
It's a sports coupe... and the V6 is the only thing they've ever put in the Hyundai Coupe that comes close to being referred to as an engine. At least it sounds good even if it's still lacking power compared to what you'd really want from a car that looks like this. The tax isn't THAT great a difference unless you get 06 plate or newer. The mpg isn't horrendous like some rivals (e.g RX-8) either.

The 1.6 is a false economy. -2 mpg for the 2.0's power increase has to be worth it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
think if i was looking for a gen3 it would have to be the 2l. would love a V6 but couldn't justify the extra expense on fuel and tax.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I still aint got my coupe yet!!!!!!! i will tell you why i chose 2.0 se. there was a 2.0 se and a 2.7 v6 on the forecourt when i was looking but the 2.0 se is the all round coupe cheaper tax and insurance and running costs i love the look of the coupe so i couldn't care less what engine is under the hood i think 2.0 is more than enough .

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
There is one advantage the V6 has that has not been mentioned yet, it is a much more refined car and very 'driveable' will go into 6th gear at 40 and you don't need to change gear until you go below 30. Anyone moving from even a slightly modified gen1/2 (mine had exhaust and air filter) will be diappointed by the lack of power in the 2.0l gen3. I know the gen1/2's were a lot lighter but having test driven the gen3 2.0 I thought not only would I have to buy the car but would have to start modifying it straight away to get anywhere near the performance of my gen2.

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
interesting point

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
thedupleman said:
i,2.0 better and 1.6 even better.
just had to quote that. The V6 would be the dream maybe for a lot of people but with the ever increasing cost of motoring, between tax and fuel the smaller engines make more sense. If the engines in the Veloster continue (as rumoured) are the new breed of small capacity turbo'd would be interesting to see which is the fave, but for the current generation i would say the 2.0 is by far the most popular

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if i was to buy a genesis from abroad id be looking for a 2.0

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
defo. the 3.8 (like the V6 in the current one) is the fantasy car but in the real world just doesnt make sense. i think if it had the 2.0T here (well the UK not Ire) it would sell. and when it does i will be importing one he he

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was quite dissapointed by the specs of the UK Gen 3 V6 ... as if I remember correctly (and please correct me if I'm wrong), the Gen 3 2.7 litre V6 kicks out about 139 BHP, whereas the Gen 1 or 2's 2.0 litre kicks out about 136 BHP (though the Gen 3 has more torque, which is just as important as BHP).

The Gen 3 2.7 litre V6 engine's torque will give it better performance in the lower revs range compared to the older Gen 1 or 2's 2.0 litre engine ... however with the same mods, the V6 2.7 litre engine will gain more performance over the Gen 1 or 2's 2.0 litre engine. This is the only pic I can find from my collection from many years ago (it had tribal graphics on it which had a flip effect from green to purple on the black Gen 3)

I can't remember the screen name of an old UKHCC member, but last time I saw him he had the Gen 3 V6 with a custom Rimmer supercharger installed - and it used to FLY down the stips at the shows

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
fatdads car.ian

·
Banned
169 Posts
"it used to FLY down the stips at the shows"

- it also used to blast oil all over the place and go bang a lot if I remember correctly.

Yes it's weak and disappointing, but it's also a hell of a lot cheaper to insure and run for that very reason. But it looks lurverly, so we let it off.

O.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
went bang once when he upgraded from stock TB to much bigger and didnt refine the tuning - dropped a ring (gapped to close as stock when pushing the assasin through it)- otherwise great - considering he was pushing 400bhp from that block.

V6 - yeah not quite as I expected, but tbh my gen 1 was pushing out the same sort of power when i sold it, combined with being a lot lighter.....

But as bob says, very drivable with smoother engine - and of course a v6 sound to it..

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
scout said:
There is one advantage the V6 has that has not been mentioned yet, it is a much more refined car and very 'driveable' will go into 6th gear at 40 and you don't need to change gear until you go below 30. Anyone moving from even a slightly modified gen1/2 (mine had exhaust and air filter) will be diappointed by the lack of power in the 2.0l gen3. I know the gen1/2's were a lot lighter but having test driven the gen3 2.0 I thought not only would I have to buy the car but would have to start modifying it straight away to get anywhere near the performance of my gen2.
Screw 40mph... speed limits on Army camps are 20mph and I whack it in 6th gear and it doesn't mind a bit lol.
If I'm going to be sticking at practically any speed I'll be in 6th gear.
Also I cant comment on the 1.6 or 2.0 but my V6 is silent on the motorway, a bit of road noise with the 18"s on but other than that it eats up the miles comfortably as you'd like.

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
I think its horses for course really.
1.6 - if you predominantly drive in town
2.0 - if you do a lot of mixed driving
2.7 - if you predominantly drive big distances on Motorways

For the sort of driving I do I should have got the 2.0 but just couldn't face the lack of performance over my gen2

·
Registered
22 Posts
The V6 is the only coupe that comes close to performace figures of rivals, and even then it's coming up short..... Lets face it the hyundai coupe is about looks, because if you wanted performace you wouldn't buy one...... Only ever test driven the 2.0l but the V6 just felt better some how...

1 - 20 of 103 Posts