Hyundai Coupe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many young drivers in today's world modify their cars, this could be by simply adding a nice new set of alloy wheels on or going to extreme lengths making everything customised and unique. All insurance brokers ask if your vehicle has been modified from its manufactured state, it's really tempting to say no to this question, even if you have because you know that this will increase your yearly premium so why would you want to voluntary tell them to charge you more? Then answer is simple, honesty is best and will always be more beneficial in the long run. In the event of an accident regardless who's at fault many insurance brokers want to see the extent of the damage to assess the cost of repair. Many do this to simply try to catch people out because if they find out that you have stated incorrect details then they don't have to pay a single penny out. If in doubt you are always best to give them a quick ring and see if this alters your policy.

This also can alter the amount that you receive if your vehicle has been written off or stolen, if your insurance company decides to pay out for the total value of the car then they will base it on similar models on the market today. That means that the money you have spent on it since purchasing the car will of gone to waste, if you have declared that you have spent X amount on a new body kit or wheels then they will take that into consideration. You can also get an "agreed value" with some insurance companies so you if you can prove that your vehicle is above average, based on condition and mileage then you could claim more back in the event of a loss.

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
Admiral operate a standard parts policy, even though I've told them about the mods they will only replace any damage with manufacturer parts.
Also if you insure online they often don't ask about mods, many people have fallen into this trap where they don't declare any simply because there wasn't anywhere to declare online, then had a prang, and not got a penny. Luckily this practice is getting rarer.
I dont recommend trying this, but when we insured the puma it was already modded, and as insurers know everything about the car from its number plate, we assumed the mods were already recorded to the vehical. They weren't so when I rang up to tell them I was charged £60 extra. However after checking a quote declaring upfront would have cost £300 more.
Also many insurance companies offer discounts for being members of an owners club.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Its always the best policy (excuse the pun) to declare all mods. If you have a claim and the assessors get hold of your car and find undeclared mods, what chance do you think there is that they'll honour any claim? And if they don't, and someone is claiming against you, the consequences of a civil case could be catastrophic for you. Best pay a bit extra and have peace of mind.

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
adrian flux is your best bet/just declare away.not declaring=bad idea

·
Super Moderator
2,052 Posts
barryman said:
Best pay a bit extra and have peace of mind.
Depending on the amount of mods etc you may even find the insurance to be cheaper.

For me i was quoted £2400 by A/F for my car as standard, i currently pay a tad over a grand with some small :mrgreen: mods

·
Registered
847 Posts
I didn't decalre, lowering & wheels on saxo! :)

I'm a female, i bought it like that! I don't know it's modified! ;)
x

·
Registered
215 Posts
Shellz said:
I didn't decalre, lowering & wheels on saxo! :)

I'm a female, i bought it like that! I don't know it's modified! ;)
x
Not declaring your modifications voids your insurance policy, and having no insurance is illegal. You've also just publicly declared you know of your modifications however haven't told your insurance company about them (though unless you've posted photos or more personal information then necessary, they likely wouldn't link your real life accounts to this forum account). May be worth a call to see how much exactly it will cost to "cover" your mods.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Good good :)

Out of curiosity, where do we stand on factory parts? optional extras and the like?

Good examples being the high-level spoiler, or the larger 17" Wheels.... does this sort of thing really need to be declared? Given that when you provide an insurance company your reg to insure the car, they have no idea if these are fitted or not and offer you a quote based on that knowledge, or lack of.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Depends on if you're prepared to possibly lose the money you spent on buying those alloys and high level spoiler if/when it comes to claiming.

I declared my alloys not originally with the car, but standard on higher spec models. Then this is A/F who seem to give out lower quotes for modded cars (possibly recognising you're more likely to care about the car)

·
Registered
596 Posts
According to my policy schedule (with Elephant) modifications include (and I quote) "anything which changes the makers standard specification or alters its performance, including cosmetic changes such as alloy wheels, bodykits, or any non-standard parts"
That means that Tuscani badges become a grey area also.
They don't effect the performance, but they are cosmetic changes.
But as they are genuine KDM parts they ARE standard.
Also as they are not specifically mentioned in the official Hyundai brochure, you could argue either way as to whether they are "standard specification" (for which country??)
Clear side repeaters, off a Gen3.5 but fitted to a Gen3, is that a declareable mod or not?

Interestingly my policy also covers me for up to £750 of audio equipment.
Elephant have made the assumption that I have changed the head unit, so do I have to confirm that fact?
And what about a bee-sting aerial? are they classed as audio equipment?

What about taking things off?
i.e Tatlocking, etc.
What about non-standard (different make) tyres?, brake pads? or any other 'consumable' parts?
Do your insurers need to know about these too?

The policy document further states "If in doubt please call us on 08xx-xxx-xxx".
Given the typical comprehension levels of the call handlers at insurance centres, it would probably be better idea to write a letter to describe the modifications, and also ask for a written expanation as to WHY any particular mod has effected your premium.
You could also set out a reasoned arguement that certain, tasteful cosmetic mods actually make a car LESS likely to be stolen, as the car is visually unique and should therefore be easier for the police to track down (If they actually bother looking) and so should qualify for a premium reduction.

OK. rant over.
That's me off my soap-box now, I'm off to sit a quiet corner with a cold beer. :)

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
interesting thoughts there graham

·
Registered
212 Posts
So are Audio upgrades included in insurance policies such as uprated door speakers, a new Headunit or sub and amp in the boot?

·
Super Moderator
2,052 Posts
The best option, if ever you arent 100% sure...... Give your insurers a quick ring and ask, there may be no charge for the change but at least it makes them aware.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Labrat of Larbert said:
According to my policy schedule (with Elephant) modifications include (and I quote) "anything which changes the makers standard specification or alters its performance, including cosmetic changes such as alloy wheels, bodykits, or any non-standard parts"
That means that Tuscani badges become a grey area also.
They don't effect the performance, but they are cosmetic changes.
But as they are genuine KDM parts they ARE standard.
Interesting i am currently with Elephant - before i changed my badges i rang them up to ask if it would affect my policy. The bloke on the end of the phone thought about it for a while, went to check with his supervisor then came back and said its not technically a mod according to them and wouldnt affect the policy. He did say however that he noted it on my policy for future reference and wouldnt have an affect if i ever made a claim. :|

·
Registered
100 Posts
When I first got insured with norwich union (now aviva) i struggled so much with my mods, just purely for the fact that they didn't have a clue. They charge a pretty penny too, but to start with they thought the cai which I added first was some form of turbo :roll: that took about a week to sort with constant phone calls and I had to add more to the premium than I payed for the part. I also had problems with the cat back system as they didnt understand the difference between a header and just the exhaust being reconstructed from the cat back even though its pretty simple, that also took a while to solve, but I think they just gave because the policy just said "exhaust system changes". I then rang to tell them I had re-painted the dashboard, the guy on the other end of the phone said something along the lines of "oh that doesnt matter", but when the car got written off I had real problems with the insurance company claiming I hadn't declared it even though I had rang them, they ended up either believing me or found evidence I had rang up, but it was a real pain in the back side. All though after the crash they wouldn't let me take any parts off the car, but I do believe it is definitely worth declaring mods, its just not worth loosing all them pennies if your car does get written off.

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
With some insurers theres often 2 options, for example alloys

Alloy wheels aftermarket
Alloy wheels manufacturer (Evo wheels on a SE for example)

Mods made for that car by the manufacturer won't put it up by nearly as much as aftermarket mods. I managed to get my F2 Evo Cams down as a manufacturer upgrade!
Wheels are the usual case of this though, how many Gen1 drivers either have evo wheels, or those 15" evo lookalike wheels that were an upgrade on SE's? How many Ford boys have ST wheels on Fiesta/Focus's/Pumas? Strangely enough there is someone near me who's put those propeller Puma wheels on his fiesta!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Its always best to declare all modifications. I did with my old car even down to the vinyl stripes I added. They weren't fussed, but did include the "modification" in the policy notes. I was and still am with Tesco. They are good with mods, but only allow 5/6. My Clio had a cat back exhaust, pipercross induction kit, angel eyes, non standard spoiler & 172 Sport rear bumper (they classed this as one mod (body kit)) and that is when it got tricky. I wanted the facelift rear lights but they were classed as a modification but I already had non standard alloys (they were renault Clio alloys on a clio, but they were not standard on my model of car) they compromised on certain things and allowed one of the items to be added onto the notes section rather than as a modification. Always be honest because as stated above if you have an accident you are stiffed!
Before the facelift rear lights I had the standard ones blacked out. As it was the standard part they didn't class it as a modification, as with the side bumpstrips I colourcoded.

I have told Tesco about the Tuscani badges and they are not fussed. I am going to give them a call when the K&N panel filter turns up and see if they are bothered with the tinted indicators and upholstered head rests. The one thing I am unsure about is whether to tell them if I do take the snorkel out. Technically I am modifying it from standard so I guess I should.

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
To be honest is a K+N panal filter a mod? Its the same filter as standard, just a different brand, if you declare that then you'll be declaring what brand of oil is in the engine, or what brand of tyres you have as mods.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Not really. I am replacing a paper panel filter with a silcone one (which according to the manufacturers adds BHP) If you weren't to declare it and ended up having an accident and they found it I am sure they would be entitled to argue it is a non OEM modification. In my opinion this is more of a mod than gen 3's without V6 alloys getting V6 alloys fitted as V6 alloys are still Hyundai parts.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts