Hyundai Coupe Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Having just joined and have been considering moving onto a more comfortable option, I have decided to keep my Coupe a little longer.
I have a 52 Plate Gen 3 v6. Red 62k. TSW 19" alloys 235/35/19 Tyres.
I have owned for 2 years, prior it had been lowered (Eibach?) rear anti sway bars, Ripspeed air intake, AIF Chip and other mods.
Pro's; Superb handling, fast, looks superb!
Cons; very poor ride, thirsty (20mpg at best)
With a bad back the ride is not good :(

But after seeing some of the comments posted I will look into the suspension and tuning.
Switching back to 205/55/16" Alloys and tyres should help the ride quality and improve economy due to lighter wheel diameter, any comments?
Possibly putting standard springs back on, so if anyone has any and wants to swap for some lowered ones, let me know!!!

Any suggestions on how to go about improving economy, (apart from the usual stuff like tyres pressures and a good service :) )
Do you guys know of any ECU chips or tuning devices that will allow me to switch between performance or economy? what about the APEXI Neo?

Looking forward to keepin' in touch........

Jerry2445

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
it's a shame you've taken it that far to have a rethink, the 16" wheels will help ride quality (and your wallet when renewing tyres)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, but the car came with most of the mods already done?

Been looking on eBay etc.. for any alloys... missed out on a few good deals... if you know of or can recommend anyone, I would be obliged?

Do you have experience of the improvement in ride quality? 10% or 20% better?

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
16's will improve ride,but a v6 should really be on 17's-but i found 17's a crashy ride.apexi neo etc are very good but not cheap and expensive to fit.

id do an ecu reset and see if that helps.take battery lead off turn on igntion and press brake pedal a few times.then reconnect.you may find after 100 miles or so economy has improved.drive gentle for 100 miles and it'll reset to that style of driving

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also found the ride in my Gen 3.5 very harsh with the 17" wheels originally fitted, and the low profile tyres (215/45). I took a gamble and replaced them with a set of the stock 16" wheels (sourced on the "other" site) with 205/55 tyres. The improvement surpassed all expectations - a far more pliant ride, and quieter also.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LiDL said:
it's a shame you've taken it that far to have a rethink, the 16" wheels will help ride quality (and your wallet when renewing tyres)
That was a serious consideration. Was able to get a set of 2.0 Coupe Alloys with Eagle NCT 215/55/16's and Sold my TSW's at a profit!
The difference is staggering, not a more compliant ride, but the steering is better and much better levels of grip, not only that the economy has gone up to an average of 28.6mpg! although I suspect that some of that increase is probably down to an EcoTek valve - £12 second hand off EBay and an AIS Chip (Air Intake Sensor Chip) £5 EBay.
No way of knowing for sure, as I fitted them all on the same day? but the overall performance is dramatically better also!
Cosmetically the Hyundai Alloys don't look as good, but still acceptable.
I woul recommend an EcoTek Valve/AIS Mod to anyone, what a difference! so much more responsive!! its like having a new car, and it's better on fuel! :)
Next up TIBURON Badges, Gold finish for Chrome, Kenwood KRC Amp.
Brake Caliper paint (Gold) I'll up load pics when done!
Cheers!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lotusman said:
I also found the ride in my Gen 3.5 very harsh with the 17" wheels originally fitted, and the low profile tyres (215/45). I took a gamble and replaced them with a set of the stock 16" wheels (sourced on the "other" site) with 205/55 tyres. The improvement surpassed all expectations - a far more pliant ride, and quieter also.
Hi Lotusman
Couldn't agree more! amazing difference in ride quality, have you found the levels of grip better? I have, and the TCS doesn't scrabble back and forth between the wheels?
Steering feels not only lighter but shaper too?
I may look at getting some Gold 16" Alloys (doing a Tiburon Conversion)
But keep the tyres, I am sure that the quality of the 215/55's make a massive difference too, I have Good year Eagle NCTS.
jerry2445

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thedupleman said:
16's will improve ride,but a v6 should really be on 17's-but i found 17's a crashy ride.apexi neo etc are very good but not cheap and expensive to fit.

id do an ecu reset and see if that helps.take battery lead off turn on igntion and press brake pedal a few times.then reconnect.you may find after 100 miles or so economy has improved.drive gentle for 100 miles and it'll reset to that style of driving
Hi
Did the ECU reset as you said, sure that has helped, along with the tuning mods.
Cheers for the advice :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
I woul recommend an EcoTek Valve/AIS Mod to anyone, what a difference! so much more responsive!! its like having a new car, and it's better on fuel! :)

do you still notice the fuel and power difference or was it a once off??

was the valve and ais easy to fit, i would be intrested in this myself once its not too harn,

also any chance on a link to your ais i cant find any on ebay.

thanks

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
No! Dont do it they are crap and dont work if you want to waist your money just give the £20

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
yeah I would research these ecotek and ebay chips.. the signs are they arent good and potentailly bad for your engine.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I was looking at those for a while and the general consensus was - If its that good and that cheap to make, then it would be OEM.

I'd steer clear of them, but each to their own and all that

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I actually thought the ride was better with the stock 17s then the stock 16s. The ride is still crashy but not as bad as the 16s IMHO

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi,
I'm an old gimmer but I find the S111 2.0 ltr with 17" wheels perfectly acceptable comfort wise and I'm registered disabled.
Sell your current coupé as there must be loads of people wanting a modded coupé out there, they're always talking about it on here and there you are with a ready made one available.
Next, buy an S111. The 1.6 is not powerful enough and lacks some of the toys in the later models. The 2.0 Ltr is ideal, not much less power than it's big brother but has most of the toys, much better insurance, service, fuel costs etc. Then sit back and enjoy.
Uncle Buck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts