Hyundai Coupe Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a few questions regarding plates, as was told last night some plates are being sold as legal when they're not, and can never get a straight answer off people.
Are these legal; Pressed metal plates
Square motorbike-style plates
Logo down one side of the plate, such as a Tuscani T
Euro flag on plates (the ring of stars)
Been told all these confuse cameras, a Tuscani T will be read as an extra letter, the ring of stars read as a letter O or a zero.

·
Banned
115 Posts
good question, id like to know this too...

i know driving without plates on your car isnt legal and will result in a £30 fine... bloody sticky pads :(

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lukewood said:
good question, id like to know this too...

i know driving without plates on your car isnt legal and will result in a £30 fine... bloody sticky pads :(
No offence, but no plates at all, thats a common sense issue. Also for all you rat-lookers (not that we got many on here) you may not need to wash the car, but you do need to keep the plate readable.
And thats about I know for definate, hence the questions.

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
i believe euro flag no problem any other emblem no no

·
Banned
115 Posts
its not that i took them off, they fell off, the sticky pads that held them on were useless. i had the numberplates in the car. one in the front window and one in the back, but still wasnt good enough for them.

i was told they have to face straight on and straight back. the fine was for not having them displayed properly.

so no numberplates in windows! and if you can, have them screwed onto the car.

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Hutch, that clears some things up, still would like to know a definate answer for pressed metal plates or square plates please.

·
Registered
73 Posts
the only plates that are legal by law are standard numberplates with the euro symbol down the side and standard font, it has to have the BS number and the manufacturer, any other plate is illegal but dont stop people having them for example personized plates,

·
Registered
534 Posts
Well I've had square plates on both my Coupe's and never had an issue, a guy round here has had square plates front and back on his MR2 for over 3 years now.

·
Registered
73 Posts
well at present ive got pressed metal plates and to tell the truth not had any both with them and have actually been told by someone that they are making a comback too as every other european country has pressed metal plates with like german style writing so why should we have to be different and its not like you cant read them.

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Apparently the reflection on pressed metal plates doesn't show up on a camera. Want to get them, but don't want to get pulled for it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
ive just been reading a little bit about these pressed plates and have a look on here

http://www.dubmeister.co.uk/

these are the only people who make them that are LEGAL
the forums i was just reading have confirmed that they are road legal and that anybody that was issued at fine that the give the shop that perchased from (in that case was carnisour in plymouth) the officers number and ticket number and other details and they will let the DVLA know and stop the fine as they are ROAD LEGAL..

enjoy. read this forum if you dont believe me
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... 0&t=612135

·
Registered
20 Posts
eggcatcher said:
Got a few questions regarding plates, as was told last night some plates are being sold as legal when they're not, and can never get a straight answer off people.
Are these legal; Pressed metal plates
Square motorbike-style plates
Logo down one side of the plate, such as a Tuscani T
Euro flag on plates (the ring of stars)
Been told all these confuse cameras, a Tuscani T will be read as an extra letter, the ring of stars read as a letter O or a zero.
Mate I got Hyundai Badge underneath Euro Stars on a green background ( plates are yellow though ) from Demonplates months ago and no problem from the boys in blue so far. Thought Hyundai Badge was a nice touch though illegal to have.

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
About a year ago numberplates were brought into MOTs, whilst the police may not have noticed you, you'll have problems MOT time

·
Registered
20 Posts
eggcatcher said:
About a year ago numberplates were brought into MOTs, whilst the police may not have noticed you, you'll have problems MOT time
Really mate? What kind of problems? Surely not a MOT fail? Good shout, though MOT not due for a while i'll certainly slap on original plates when it is.

·
Super Moderator
2,052 Posts
I ordered a set online when i first got my private reg:

nothing said about them being for offroad use or anything, turned out the spacing was illegal (i knew that anyway)
but the size of the lettering was too small,
the spacing between the characters was smaller than required,
the text was 3D and therefore illegal too,
also i had a background - illegal
a hyundai badge on the left - illegal
writing that wasnt the garages name underneath - illegal

but apart from that they were all legal, so have replaced them with some that may just have the space in the wrong place, since doing that ive had no trouble at all from O.B

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
if you dont have to produce your V5 when buying plates they are being supplied as "show plates" they may or may not conform to the rules and regs at this point but the seller is not following the rules as to sell a road legal numberplate

1 - 18 of 18 Posts