Hyundai Coupe Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Sooooo....

As some of you may know I was at the Nurburgring in May :D
And as some of you may know, I had a 'slight' accident :oops:

What you don't know, and i just found out, is that my insurance is COVERING it !!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
This was just a standard fully comp policy, nothing fancy on it what so ever from People's choice / hasting direct.
They may have taken nearly 6 weeks to get it authorized by I have to say good on them :eek:

So here's some pictures of the poor car since right after the accident. Although the insurance is now sorting it (underwriters have said to process claim as normal because the ring is not specifically excluded) I wont give any details of how it happened until I have the £££ from them just incase.

For now you can laugh/cry at my poor car :(
before.jpg

after 1.jpg

after 2.jpg

So folks, you can take one 56' plate 2.0l Atlantic off the numbers for the UK :cry:

As for me, I had slight whiplash for a day and my friend was totally fine. No other cars involved. What you don't see in the picture is that the barriers had moved around 6ft :!:

Damage from what I can tell is the front + rear bumper, bonnet, drivers side wing and maybe the radiator. Strangely the airbags didn't even go off though.

And yes, there will be a video once all my insurance stuff is sorted. goes from the start to after the accident :p

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,310 Posts
Glad you're ok..

I believe the Nurburgring is classed simply as a toll road (don't people take it to go to work and such? )

·
Registered
361 Posts
The ring has taken yet another life.
Glad to hear your doing fine, despite the accident how was the trip? :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, just down as a public road in Germany and German insurance covers it as standard but UK insurers have a habit of saying it's a race track and not giving you the time of day. That's what they tried to do at the start until I had a long conversation with them pointing out that it is not specifically excluded from my policy and I wasn't racing.
I think that also telling them I have video footage of a coach full of tourists on it at the time (the only thing I overtook lmao) helped my case too.

Will be looking for a new one in a while once things are sorted which hopefully won't be long as it's already taken them over a month.
Ideally want a TSIII but think it's more likely to be a standard SIII, thinking that whatever they pay out I will get a small car loan and get a good one then get everything done such as clutch, brakes etc.

The trip was grade A+ awesome :D
1st day was from Amsterdam to Hamburg which was about a 6 hour drive with a one night stay where we went to see the miniature wunderland. A converted warehouse full of models etc. There's some video's on youtube I can highly recommend seeing.
After that it was another 6 hour trip the next day to the ring, one thing that really confused me is that the car manual says a top speed of 123mph but on the autobhan on a long straight with no hills we were hitting 140mph and things were still nice and smooth :shock:

After the accident we got a surprise taxi driver to the hotel. It was one of those small VW van type things, a diesel no less. But the driver turned out to be an ex racing driver who had done lemans, monaco and had over 5000 laps of the ring under his belt. we thought that was a bit far fetched until we started going up the twisty mountain road to the hotel and he was just insane. Overtook a BMW m3 among others haha !

·
Premium Member
7,310 Posts
The calibration on the speedo is probably out at the top end, even sat nav's can be a little inaccurate due to the refresh rate, I think the fact it's smooth at that speed speaks volumes though, and it's one of the reasons people don't like the gen 3, you just don't feel like you're going fast where as in a gen 1/2 it would be noisy and you feel like you need to control the car more (hence the feeling of more speed).

Glad it didn't put too much of a damper on your trip, I know we love them and all bit it is only a car and not being seriously injured is much more important.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, any accident you can walk away from is good.
My friend is keeping tabs though, that's the 2nd time I've nearly killed him lol. He did have a good point though, no fines, never been stopped by the cops and no pints on my license. So for a 1st ever crash it's a warriors death haha

Looking through Autotrader just now but seems like slim pickings north of the border for an SIII that's not a 1.6 or with a stupidly high price. May have to consider *winces* an RX-8. Although to be fair I do want to test drive one before I get a new car.

Currently eyeing up this one, thinking tomato AP badges for an SIII if I get one.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...adius/1501/page/29/postcode/eh114js?logcode=p

·
Registered
772 Posts
I thought all Siii's had the red leather interior , you learn something new everyday. Looks tidy enough does this one

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
truth said:
I thought all Siii's had the red leather interior , you learn something new everyday. Looks tidy enough does this one
The black ,grey and white siii's has red and blue silver red siii's has black leather :) which I prefer black leather easy to keep it clean and looks black :D

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
Plasmastorm said:
Yeah, any accident you can walk away from is good.
My friend is keeping tabs though, that's the 2nd time I've nearly killed him lol. He did have a good point though, no fines, never been stopped by the cops and no pints on my license. So for a 1st ever crash it's a warriors death haha

Looking through Autotrader just now but seems like slim pickings north of the border for an SIII that's not a 1.6 or with a stupidly high price. May have to consider *winces* an RX-8. Although to be fair I do want to test drive one before I get a new car.

Currently eyeing up this one, thinking tomato AP badges for an SIII if I get one.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...adius/1501/page/29/postcode/eh114js?logcode=p
Nice colour siii mate. at lease you can play with colour..! Best of luck on your insurance and new car:)

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys !
Insurance has now told me it's a write off due to repatriation costs so will have a cheque in a couple of weeks. Luckily they are wanting all the service history docs etc for making a valuation which is good since it's been well taken care of.
In the mean time have gotten myself a very god deal on a car loan approved so should have my bum in a seat within a week *fingers crossed*

Have put a 'want' in the car sales/wants section.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just had the insurance on the phone, all sorted and they are sending me out a cheque for £2900.
Figure that's fairly decent considering it was £5000 2 years ago and an 06 plate on 72k miles.

Let the siii parts ordering commence ! :D

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Long overdue but here is the video that was taken at the time now that all the insurance stuff is done with.
Should be live in a few min.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts