Hyundai Coupe Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I know there are one or two topics about a similar problem... But anyway would appreciate anybodys help.... My engine seriously overheats, when I've driven around 5 miles the temp gage hits the red zone! I topped the radiator up before this journey as I experienced slight overheating the night before, and when my engine overheats like this the heating in my car doesn't work at all! You can smell the engine when you get out the car and the heat coming from under the bonnet is supernova! ...well almost! I can't see any visible or obvious leaks but I do have to top up the rad on a fairly regular bases.. Thank you. JP

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Check all your belts are still intact and water pump is working. Also is your radiator fan working. Others will give more details but check everything is still working.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you I will check the belts tomorrow and yes the radiator fan is working! I'm not great with cars I'll be honest, Heinz why I need you guys on here. Thank you

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
The fact the heating doesn't work is because it has no water in it. the heater matrix is the highest part, and last to reach water. You are very low, and / or have an air block. You can't just say oh check the water pump, its not that easy, and very unlikely.

Firstly, top up the radiator, when cold - not the expansion tank. Run engine to running temp with rad cap off, with heating on full blast. Watch it doesn't bubble out over the top. Gently squeezing the top rad hose which I also suspect will be cold. Turn off for 10 mins and repeat until heaters blow hot. Then check next day.

It should also be noted that a rad fan does not keep a car cool in principal, its main use is support when the radiator system isn't working via air cooling.... I.e in standstill traffic. Don't drive it when on red either, you'll cook the head.

Before plunging in with hgf, water pump failure, etc its best to look at the simplist and most obvious and easy to check things, then go from there.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Lastly, get the hoses checked for water loss. The bottom rad clips are quite weak, and can cause a leak. Perished rubber also. Best to get a garage to lend 15 minutes checking it if you're unsure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's great, thank you for your help, I'll do all that first thing tomorrow. Thanks all. I'll let u know the outcome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts