Hyundai Coupe Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has similar problem with high revs? When you go to overtake or speed up quickly the revs go too high and there is no pull, you have to change gears almost instantly? Even if you speed up gradually then put the foot down the same thing happens! Anyone got any advice? Is there something wrong with the gear ratio?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LiDL said:
it sounds like your clutch is slipping, is there a smell when the revs jump?
Hi, thanks for reply, sometimes there is a smell of burning but only noticed now that you pointed it out! So you think it may be the clutch, it does seem very stiff when you put the clutch down.

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
it certainly sounds like it, unfortunatley it's only going to get worse, that said it's a simple replacement part and the problem is fixed, not the cheapest part, however the trial and error process required to find other power loss problems is often much more pricey.

To prolong your clutch life (if you need to save up) always ease the clutch off and no heavy right foot, the more it slips the more it wears, however progressional power should be ok.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
any idea how much that would be roughly, just bought is aswell! Its a 53 plate 2.0se.
Thanks for your help mate! will let you know the outcome!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Definitely sounds like clutch slip to me too!

As a matter of interest, how many miles has the car done?
Do you know if the clutch has had a hard life?
Always worth knowing the projected life expectancy of things.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Labrat of Larbert said:
Definitely sounds like clutch slip to me too!

60000 women previously owned. I have a 1 year warranty thrown in worth a few hundred quid called 'Dealer Guarantee Plan B & C' would this be covered as i'm sure this has been a problem since purchase i.e I thought that maybe the high revs thing was normal at the time!

·
Registered
596 Posts
timoak33 said:
60000 women previously owned.

:shock: 60000 women owners! :shock:
No wonder the clutch is shot. :mrgreen:

Seriously, whether the garage will fix it under warranty will depend on the small print of the policy. Most of these things exclude 'fair wear and tear' which means that things like tyres, brake pads, clutch, exhaust and battery aren't covered.

The gargae can only say no though, so take it in to them and see. If they value your custom they may be prepared to meet you halfway on the cost (i.e. they buy the parts and you pay for fitting, or vica verca) But be prepared to foot the whole bill.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Labrat of Larbert said:
timoak33 said:
60000 women previously owned.
hello again.. Went to Hyundai in Dundee where i live and they told me the car had not been serviced for the last 30k miles! so i need a 60k service, new clutch, rear pads and handbrake and also a new timing belt!!! :evil: The say about £790 to fix and service!! Am i being ripped off or would i be better off going to private dealer for the above???

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
there's no harm in getting a second (and even) third price.

For all that work it's not a bad price, I would probably be expecting the clutch not to come in less than £200 and the timing belt another £200 at cheap places.

You probably will get it cheaper, but if you dont know an independant garage that you know and trust you put your car's health in the hands of an unknown.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got it done by Hyundai, cost £785, 60k service, clutch and timing belt! Not a bad deal at all as other garages were bout the same price and of course would have used aftermarket parts.

I would recommend if you need a lot of work done then go to Hyundai!

Thanks for all your help! My car runs nice and sweet now!!! :D

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
Good stuff mate, I know it's a bit of a hit just after buying the car but the clutch should last you a long time :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts