Hyundai Coupe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
i find it puzzling so many people come as newbies here we have never heard of before.they dont wanna join the "other site" maybe?
i certainly think its more serious on here than elsewhere and topics are treated more seriously.i still havent decided if thats good or bad but i also find several instances here where people dont like others views and i think recently there have been several instances of grouchy replies. whereas elsewhere nobody really takes offense.(arguments happen over other things!)
i like it.i think its good here but it was always gonna be 3/4 repitition of elsewhere cos nearly everything has been discussed on there.thats good for newbies,and iv learned to put up with same question over and over.generally id say 8/10,good site but it needs more to make it different and stand out.i just dont know what.car of the month good addition but im not sure how long it will maintain interest.compared to what was about for the club 12 months ago though its excellent

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been tracking the new member signups as far as us and the other site and about half are common to both sites, and we get one or two less overall new user growth, which is to be expected with being new and not having as much content for google to index.

as for the arguments issue, I see them and every one I sit thinking to myself how do I deal with this, but by the time I decide they have already burned themselves out, I guess this is a good thing as I've known arguments to go on for days on other sites.

I'm trying to work hard on other things to keep things on here intersting, without it going down the 90% off topic route and I have a fair few things in the pipe line.. hopefully this place will continue to grow, and be useful.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I like it, for a few reasons....

* Good newbies like me....

Sometimes its hard to work yourself into really tight existing communities (I have run a few in my time). This is made even more difficult when those communities are very easy going and have few rules either written or unwritten, having a club structure enables everyone to have the same footing based on the club.

* More organisation

I know we have just started up (again..) but I've already had some good chats with Miller and LiDL about events and attendance at competitions and it is definitely something I want to get more involved in.. I wanted to get into modded cars for my own enjoyment and experience and getting into the comps and meets is something that is part of that.

* Sense of being...

And I don't mean metaphysically!!! Sometimes being part of a proper club not only gets you benefits and friends but offers more than just being part of a forum... Now this isn't to drag any other forums or sites down but being a part of a club is far more than just dropping by every now and then and that is something different.

I think there is a lot to build on and this is just the beginning, the hard part will be keeping things running over the winter when things tend to die down and then look to get things going strong into the spring/summer next year.

·
Registered
198 Posts
in my opinion your always going to have some people who disagree with forums its the nature of the beast,

our roles here is to ensure we can diffuse the situation best we see fit,
ive already had to rip a post apart and explain the wrong doings of it to one member

but obviously continual disruption will deny you the privelage of accessing the communitys knowledge.

I wont let this site go the way ive seen others go and i know that the rest of the team is with me on that one

·
Registered
260 Posts
Totally with you Miller, but there has to be an element of people being willing to accept criticism and dealing with it like adults... If you wrap a forum in cotton wool it dies, and if you let it go wild it becomes chaos and the regular contributors leave, its a fine balance.

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
spot on kalsius spot on.+1 to you.when you go that way you go the way of the states-take newtiburon-thats bans people for practically nothing.they all leave and go to hhop,and then they all hate one another and you have a few members who contribute to both.my biggest contribution has always been on ukhcf but im active on lots of coupe sites.people can always get me and i divide my time more and more between here and there.i like to flit and i like the jokes on ukhcf and have lots of mates on there.i like the seriousness here but thank god it isnt too serious

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
trying to find a balance is difficult.. I dont mind a little banter so much, just know if you give people an inch they will take a mile..

I think the place will loosen up a little when we get more meets and events to talk about, just at this point I think it's important to lay the foundations so people know there's a time and a place for banter and it's not in a newbie's question thread.

·
Registered
260 Posts
One of the key things in a community will be the veteran members. Having mods is good but having a mod step in should be the last resort. One of the best communities I worked in (before it got bought out and died) was mainly run by vets. No mod privs or anything, they would help sort things out, respond to pm's and generally be nice guys. The community was great and people generally knew that if a mod stepped in, you were in trouble but it hardly happened.

One thing I tried to encourage was for mods to have two accounts, general posting and then a mod account for stepping on people or sending a warning pm. It meant people knew when you were having a laugh or just pointing them in the right direction without your mod hat on and when you were being serious. It can be difficult to manage and takes a mature community but it is one way of working.

·
Banned
169 Posts
I like it.

Yes there have been a few disagreements but that, as has been said, is the very nature of forums. I have been party to one of these myself but have always been careful to come back and explain my situation rather than getting annoyed - I don't really get angry with people and I certainly don't hold grudges but I *do* get annoyed with people being just plain idiots.

There are significantly fewer idiots on the new forums :)

I too had wondered where these new people have come from, and why they've chosen this one even through it's below UKHCS in the Google rankings but hell, who cares? Perhaps they had a quick read of each and decided this was the better of the two.

Offtopics are at an absolute minimum and I think that is the one most important thing that needs to be maintained. Thanks again to LiDL for setting the thing up in the first place!

O.

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
as i say i like the seriousness too.and i too was involved in that argument and it dried up nicely as the facts came out

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
Given time, I think this will work better, but honestly at the moment for any problems with the car I still tend to use the other site, as it has more users, so help available more (although its often from Lidl anyway). This problem will die out as this site gets more members. Hopefully if we do a few shows as the club next summer our name will get out there more.
It is just a time thing I think though, as the other site doesn't offer anything apart from more members, most of them have never met each other, this ones already got discount schemes, and more things planned, such as the group doing shows, allowing members to meet.
Maybe a including drivers of other Hyundais may work, as there are people out there with other types (mainly Accents), but not enough of them to make a stand alone club work.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Not much activity yet, obviously, and mostly topics of people introducing themselves but that's a good place to start. I find if I ask a question on both sites I get as many USEFUL replies on this as "the other" forum, with the topic being half the length. It's definately a good thing as there are less people posting for no reason.

I'm not sure what everyone is saying with all these "arguements" though :s I noticed a couple of times things got a bit heated in one of my topics but nothing serious. Haven't really seen anything else. Nowhere near as bad as Hig and Macker hitting eachother with handbags constantly elsewhere.

I can't wait to see what's lined up for the membership stuff that's in the pipeline.

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you dont have to have vinyl or a car you consider "show worthy"... but I'll get you some ;)

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
i hope it doesnt take him as long as it did for me........i was 21 when he started doing my sides.im 38 now :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
thedupleman said:
i hope it doesnt take him as long as it did for me........i was 21 when he started doing my sides.im 38 now :lol: :lol: :lol:
May have been quicker if you wanted them for a car, he's probably trying to figure out a way of sticking them to you

1 - 20 of 170 Posts