Hyundai Coupe Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I received a speeding notice from a mobile van camera for doing 36mph in a 30 zone. I was driving a hire car and date of incident was 27/06/2013. I first received information about this at the end of January 2014, over 6 months since incident. The police have said they were not aware i was the driver until Jan 2014 as the initial information from the hire company was incorrect and then there was a delay in receiving a response. They then issue a fixed penalty notice.

I have read the police only have 6 months from the incident to take it to court so do i just accept the fine and points or reject and tell them to take me to court.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
that 6 month rule is a myth. can be extended due to certain reasons which they can enforce a penalty charge as of when. Have you had any points in the last 3-4 years. If not you may wish to push for a speed awarness course. Initial outlay will be more than the £60 fine but over 5 years of increased insurance premiums may be worth considering

·
Registered
772 Posts
Can you push for one ? You may be able to but I thought that they either offered it you or they didn't ?

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
The website you want is pepipoo

·
Registered
457 Posts
if you're doing under 10%+9mph over the limit then you can opt for the Speed Awareness course - Generally they don't do anything for 10%+3mph but if you're doing 48mph (10%+4) on a stretch of road lowered to 40 for roadworks that have been completed, at 00:14 through the middle of nowhere, then what can you do...! (Grrr)

But yeah, bite the bullet, pay your dues and learn a lesson.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
These are the circumstances you may get offered a course:

(These figures are lifted straight off the NIP i have sat in front of me.)
35-42mph in a 30 zone
46-53mph in a 40 zone
57-64mph in a 50 zone
68-75mph in a 60 zone
79-86mph in a 70 zone

So you could have maybe been offered a course, but being as its 6 months ago that ship has sailed, that, or you already have points for speeding, so they dont offer you the chance again as you havent learnt your lesson first time round, you can push all you like, if they were going to offer you a course you'd have got the offer with the NIP (notice of intended prosecution)
So, like I said, suck it up, you was speeding, why should you get away with it?

·
Registered
772 Posts
I didn't think that you could "ask" for one , they just give you an option when they send the fine through to take the speed awareness course IF they think that is appropriate

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I can only comment from my personal experince. Mine may have been a diffrent situation as mine went to court. Was way over the guidlines and I requested a driving improvment course rather than a ban. Im not sure if the courts overuled the system to accept it or what but I paid £110 for a course and a fine for the courts but no ban and no points. Recently had 4 points for a sp30 and they dint offer me a driving course which met the guidlines.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
truth said:
You need to slow up mate ! Lol
Agreed. This was a few years ago and off my licence now but the 4 points was last year. I originally bought the coupe to slow me down. But even since ive taken on the name Mr Slowly as I refuse to put my foot down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts