Hyundai Coupe Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i have a squeeky noise coming from my front right wheel area.... It happens when im driving cant hear it when im going say 30+ whether its stopped above that speed i dont know... It also stops when im breaking.... its also intermittent as in its not a constant squuuuuueeeeeeeaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkkkk.... its like squeak squeak squeak which gets faster and faster as my speed increases..

Im guessing its the cv boot has split or come loose throwing crap on the dics maybe? although i havent had chance to look as it only started today...

any ideas folks

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
wheel bearing? a slightly catching pad?

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
thedupleman said:
wheel bearing? a slightly catching pad?
Was going to suggest both those, as well as telling him to stop going dogging, as that makes suspension creak and squeak. I've had both on mine (wheelbearing and pad rub that is, not dogging), wheelbearing was high pitched squeak, rubbing pads was more of a lower pitch scraping/chafing sound.

·
Registered
596 Posts
It could also be your lower suspension ball joint. They tend to squeak if the boot is split and they've run dry.
Get the car up on ramps and have a good look. A split boot, or CV joint gaiter, should be easy to spot. And look out for clean shiny metal near any bushes and mounts that would indicate excessive movement.
Get it fixed soon, as it ain't going to get better on its own, and if its the suspension joint it can get BAD.
Old Brit Leyland (Austin, Morris, Rover etc) vehicles were prone to the ball joints failing and the front suspension collapsing. I've also seen it happen on a Mercedes (In town centre on a Saturday afternoon, caused chaos)

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right well today i decided to jump in at the deep end and sort this out! I jacked the car up and the wheel was really difficult to turn.... So i took the wheel off and the top slide on the caliper had seized so the pad on the back of the disc had tapered meaning the pad housing was scraping on the disc, hence the noise... Anyways i removed everything, managed to free the caliper, cleaned it all up, regreased it, fitted some new Mintex pads on both sides and wooolah the cars driving great with no squeeks and brakes that actually stop me

£33 and 2 hours well spent :D and i taught myself how to change brake pads. Result!!!!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i went to the local garage and he did that annoying sucks air through closed teeth thing and said it looks like a new caliper and pads and you will probably need new brake hose aswell plus 3-4 hours labour so around £180 - £200 so i did the ok right well ill go fetch the parts and be back in half hour.... yeh right fool!!!!!

so all in all it was quite a relief it was something reasonably simple

·
Banned
169 Posts
Yeah, I pretty much guessed how to replace my brake pads and I'll never go to a garage for it again, it's just not in their best interests to make it cheaper for you.

O.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah was the same for me really i just took my time and i was quite suprised how simple it was... Had a brief moment of "Oh poo" when i got in the car and pressed the break pedal down and it went straight down about 4 times before stiffening up.... cue immature jokes :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
ashgen1 said:
Yeah was the same for me really i just took my time and i was quite suprised how simple it was... Had a brief moment of "Oh poo" when i got in the car and pressed the break pedal down and it went straight down about 4 times before stiffening up.... cue immature jokes :roll: :lol:
Would we?
Come to think of it I do know plenty of immature jokes about poo.
O, you never denied taking the car dogging.

·
Banned
169 Posts
I don't understand - how could you make an immature joke about a sentence containing the words "stiff" and "poo"?

But yes, doggiing is a nightmare for suspension wear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts