Hyundai Coupe Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is what i saw on my new v5c when it turned up this morning. :( didnt see it before i bought it.
it says, "1. Declared new at first registration. 2. Substantially repaired and/or accident damaged; identity checked on 13 02 2013."
what exactly does this mean?
also, when searching the registration on this forum, it shows as being owned by a member. is there any way i can find out who this was so that i can find out what happened to it?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
errrr, did you not do a HPI check first?
sounds to me like its been a cat C or D to be honest
also post the reg up, someone may recognise it

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
richie7777777 said:
is there any way i can find out who this was so that i can find out what happened to it?
When you enter your reg on the site it is anonymous, so the only way to find out is by either posting the reg and asking (someone might recognise it - edit: didn't see smokebelch's post saying the same thing before I wrote this :p), or by trawling through members' pics of their car looking for the reg if they haven't hidden it.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Well, substantially repaired means Cat C write off as far as I'm aware (That's what I had on the V5 when I repaired a pair of Puntos in the past). But the damage that could've been done to it could've been anywhere (Or everywhere) on the car.

I'm not sure on the legalities, but as far as I'm aware the seller doesn't have to tell you off their own back, but if you ask, they have to be honest with you about it.

Either way, put some pics up and we'll tell you who the car belonged to if we recognise it!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reg is kx54 kfl.
i didnt do a hpi check because i was too excited about getting a bargain (now i know why), and im an idiot (lesson learnt).
i have had a look over the car, and cant see anything that may indicate it was in a smash but there is a cracked piece of the interior plastic by the passenger window. would it have been a cat c for a break in?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Not entirely sure. As I said mate, get some pics up, if we know who owned the car, we may be able to find the build thread or some more info for it on here for you!

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Best get onto your insurance company also, if it's been a write off and you told them it wasn't when you took out insurance then it will be invalid :S

·
Registered
233 Posts
it doesent have to be major damage for it to be classed as such as most will be well aware the price an insurance company will come up with for a repair and a price we could get from a local body shop are totally different things if the damage is classed as more than the cars value it gets a write off ticket and it has to have a vosa inspection before it can go back on the road to make sure any repair is done properly but a cat c car can not be claimed on again in any future accident no matter who owns it without the vosa inspection certificate and as far as im aware if its been paid out as a right off another or the same insurance company wont pay out if its written off again i had a bmw it was 10 years old and it had been in a small rear end shunt but because it had been declared to insurance i had to get it vosa checked £70 they check the repair and its identity then if there happy you get your log book it only needed a new bumper

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Insurance still have to pay out as the car has a value, regardless of how many times it's been written off or damaged... Otherwise what's the point of having insurance on it?

And a VIC check isn't to check the damage. It's a Vehicle Identity Check... They check that the car's numbers all match. The MOT that the car requires to be on the road will ensure it's in a safe state to use! Basically, the only reason a car has to have passed a VIC check for you to be able to apply for a V5 logbook for it if it's recorded Cat C (As the insurance confiscate it when writing the car off).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts