Hyundai Coupe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have owned a v6 coupe manual for about 20 months and it is only used in the summer, it is garaged during the winter.
It is totally standard even down to the headlight bulbs.
I like the car very much and would like to improve all round performance.
I could easily sell it and buy a Scooby or an Evo if I want top performance, but in my opinion they don't look as good as the Coupe.
I have looked at performance exhausts, headers, inlet manifolds, forced air induction, remapping etc.

My question is it worth it and what gains could I expect?

I don't want to go down the lines of new cams etc. I would prefer not to disturb the engine, and a supercharger is totally out of the question a 2k.

Is it possible to get 200 bhp and knock 1 to 1.5 seconds off the 0-60 time and gain 5mph on the top end?

Many Thanks

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
THey is a guy from another site that has got just over 200bhp All he has done is full stainless steel exhaust including 4-2-1 header, leads, induction kit maybe abit more am not too sure, someone will confirm here soon.

·
Registered
25 Posts
id say if you are looking at getting 200bhp +then it would make more sense money wise selling and getting something else as everyone knows these engines incl the v6 is not a big bhp performer,i have an s111 at mo 2ltr standard apart from induction kit and rolling oaded at 150.1 bhp which i thought was good for this engine,
i came from a astra vxr nurburgring running 300bhp after just a stage 2 map,but when i sold the burg and bought the s111 it was not for the performance rather than for the looks and very good price ect,these are very striking cars but in my opinion not worth chucking loads of cash at to try and get a few more bhp as you will become dissapointed with the money spent to vbhp gained.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I think, even with just the headers + induction + exhaust etc which should get you around 200bhp, You'll be looking at spending over £2k.

You need to decide whether you prefer looks or performance really :p

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
lets talk sense first.
you say you dont want to spend big bucks,by saying a supercharger is out of question.
so really your looking at bolt on mods like exhaust,etc
TBH you wont even notice the difference most make unless your doing stuff like headers

on the other side if you wanna give it a go try a cai first,spend about 100 quid on one see if you notice anything.might give you the bug to keep going

but tbh if you want power go buy a scoob etc
the coupe is underpowered and slow in whatever form it comes in and is very untuneable compared to others

·
Banned
169 Posts
Yes quite - who's got 200bhp from a v6?! I find that very hard to believe.

Change the exhaust for a stainless one, change the airbox for a cone filter and it'll sound so much better you really won't care about the speed any more, it'll feel twice as fast!

I too bought a Coupe for the same reason you did, Scoobs are all over the place and the Coupe looks awesome, but it's just not a fast car and it's never going to be. Don't ruin it by trying to be too clever, just get it how you like it and enjoy!

O.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
As we've discussed many time before overall power isn't the goal, but useable power, I've currently got F2 evo cams, SRI with cold air feed, and 2.5" centre section+ backbox, and whilst those 3 added togeather probably won't even give 20bhp, it does give a lot more pull mid range, and increase throttle response. So whereas before I'd have to plant my foot down and wait til I had 5500rpm before anything happened, now things happen at 4000rpm, and it reaches those higher rev ranges faster. Will have headers on soon, and i've been told they'll feel alot faster than the 10-12bhp they give.
Other things to do are shedding weight, little things add up and help (my stainless exhaust system weighs at least 10kg less that the Hyundai one!)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your replys.

I have given this great thought and I will probably start with headers, exhaust and cai.
Can anyone recommend any manufactures for these parts, do you think the car would need a remap after this work is carried out, what about getting the inlet manifold ported and polished?

What do you think members?

Many thanks

·
Banned
169 Posts
In all honesty you're talking quite a lot of money for *very* little gains, so just be careful. I got most of my parts from companies I'd no longer recommend to my worst enemies, but I'm sure some people here will be able to help you out.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Owain said:
In all honesty you're talking quite a lot of money for *very* little gains, so just be careful. I got most of my parts from companies I'd no longer recommend to my worst enemies, but I'm sure some people here will be able to help you out.
Same here, I had to modify everything to get it to fit, you do get what you pay for.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
From a 2.7 any decent tuning should be getting 270bhp, working on the principle stated in revs that any NA engine should give at least 100bhp/litre. And by going forced induction 300bhp should be possible, but for some reason with hyundais its not.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
eggcatcher said:
From a 2.7 any decent tuning should be getting 270bhp, working on the principle stated in revs that any NA engine should give at least 100bhp/litre. And by going forced induction 300bhp should be possible, but for some reason with hyundais its not.
not a chance.even with tuning most people wont see more than 210.macker says his gets over 200 think its 210 faz claims about the same

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
I think they all work the calculations to increase there egos, whp to bhp conversion with random percentage here and there, always measured in the perfect conditions on the rolling road, throw in a normal british road, some wind resistance and a chunky fella in the drivers seat and a piece of paper with xx bhp printed on it means squat.

·
Banned
169 Posts
Well, I was at the rolling road day where Macker was told he has 200bhp, and I'll tell you how it went down, because I was told the same.

Basically the rolling road at Rayleigh only does whp and doesn't calculate bhp on the spindown. Therefore someone (I don't know who, apologies if it was any of you) sat with a calculator figuring out everyone's bhp using a transmission loss figure of about 33%. As any of you who know about transmission losses will know, 33% is a ridiculous figure to work to - 4wd cars like Evos and Imprezas rarely ever get that high, and they've got significantly more running gear to lose power through. On fwd cars, it's only going to be around 10%.

My car was (I seem to remember) 150whp, which would equate to 165bhp at 10% loss, which would be about spot on as I had the engine recently rebuilt. Macker's car was about 2whp more than mine, but as he'd spent around 2 grand more than me on headers and parts, he didn't question the guy spouting bull**** and everyone was happy about his "200bhp".

Sadly the same guy then told me I also had hit 200bhp - I've only changed the exhaust and filter. 35hp on stock? I don't think so.

So alas no, the guys with cars identical to mine but with a grand's worth of headers were only registering 2 or 3 hp more than my stock engine, and quite frankly you could lose 3hp off a reading by farting in front of the car.

Coupe's do not tune well. Live with it, and just enjoy them as they are. If you want a thrill then take all the money you've saved and spank it all on drugs and whores. Or trackdays :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.