Hyundai Coupe Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got legal tints on my windows on the front, now i got pulled by the fuzz yesterday

£30 fine and slapped wrists

baisiclly, i can only assume that the gen 1 must have slightly tinted windows to begin with.

legal tinting is 75%

mine came out at 45.5%

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
Most older cars have slight tints, the marker on the gen 1 windows say "minimum 75% transparency" but even then if you have legal tints you're looking at a min of 50%?

you're not having a good time with plod as of late are you?

·
Banned
169 Posts
I too have heard of people having this happen to them - most cars seem to have a slight blue or brown tint to them which, whether you notice them or not, obviously affects your figure.

Annoying really that they're so strict on it but hey ho, don't want to get in to a conversation about that right now.

Surely window tinting places must have the same light meters that the police have?!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Legal tint is 70% VLT minimum so with 45% you are well below!! I am in the same boat, the gen 1 does have a slight tint already but it can vary between 70 and 85%.... It also isnt the best looking tint either so its common for people to put a film over the top but this does drop it below 70 but final results vary!!

Usually anything above 50-55% and they won't bother, the general test is that they want to be able to clearly see the driver when they look into the car hence with a 45% tint you probably looked hard to see in with a darkish interior.....

Damn bad luck really, most times they don't bother unless they are having a hard time with poeple putting stupid tints on the windows in front of the B post... I have seen quite a few round by me with 35% tints on for months and those are almost limo style tints which is usually picked up immediately...

I was thinking of asking round some auto glass places to see if I could get a 100% clear set of front glass to put a proper 70% tint on so it looks good and is still legal, will have to look round and see what it costs...

Bad luck mate, plod must be having issues with some of the local modders and will be clamping down, even if its only minor stuff.

(P.S. does a fixed penalty have to be declared to the insurers?)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
window tints impare your vision they should be declared to the insurance company, if you pull out infront of someone then thats the insurance companies get out claus

the penalty doe not

as for getting glass cut why dont you get some 70% glass cut u div lol instead of getting the film

:roll:

·
Registered
260 Posts
lol, gd idea :mrgreen:

tints declared, wasn't sure if you had to declare fixed penalties to the insurance company, never had one..... :twisted:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts