Hyundai Coupe Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dear mother had to do a speed awareness course last night - she said it was a blast.

She was also told about Young Driver improvement courses that they're doing all over the county of Norfolk! It's pretty much the car equivalent of 'Huggy', for the bikers among us. Requirements are simply a full licence and aged 17-25.
I couldn't tell you if it's accredited, but I'm sure if you mention it over the phone to the insurance chaps they might be able to do something. In any case, £25 gets you 4 sessions (there are 6 topics to choose) plus a skidpan session. Definitely worth a look, for the sake of being a little better on the roads.

http://www.think.norfolk.gov.uk/young-d ... -that-work

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
dam and blast ,isnt that ageist, you can never get enough skills for todays roads , and a skidpan all for 25 quid , as said may well help with insurance ,

·
Registered
314 Posts
arsenal71 said:
dam and blast ,isnt that ageist, you can never get enough skills for todays roads , and a skidpan all for 25 quid , as said may well help with insurance ,
Yeh its a bit ageist.. But then again it is young drivers that need thier insurance reduced!
I have thrown thousands of pounds down the drain alteady and im only 20! Never had a crash and never claimed any of it back.. Just wasted.. And ive never even been fully comp yet.. Was quoted another £300 for that..

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
i know when i started driving my friend went on a advanced driving course and that reduced his insurance , what it cost i have no idea , but every little helps

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
I'd say that was definitely ageist. After all, they advertise that there is a 93-year old who's done the Hugger bike thing, so that is available to all. Why not this? And I have to say their GOLD (Guidance for Older Drivers - Shouldn't the acronym be GOD?) looks deadly dull by comparison. 'Does your medication affect your driving?' ffs!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Yeah, I agree. Not fair to us oldies, but it's true our insurance is cheaper anyway. Always good to get tips on how to drive more safely of course, no matter how old you are -always room for improvement. I looked into the advanced driver courses and didn't do it cos it was expensive - can't remember how much exactly.
I'm jealous though, that skidpan sounds like fun :D . Sitting here wondering if I could pass for 25?........ not a chance :roll: . grrrrr......... lol :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm booked in for 3rd July.
They've changed it now so that everything but mods is covered in the 4 sessions, then you do the skidpan, then if you want to, you can do the mods session too.

I'm sorry oldies, I am looking forward to this! ;) :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,310 Posts
I agree you're never too old to learn new tricks, I've been thinking recently about organising a skidpan session for the club, they do it as a corporate day and have competitions so to avoid the "I DON'T NEED EXTRA TRAINING I'VE BEEN DRIVING FOR 50 YEARS" talk.

·
Registered
469 Posts
LiDL said:
I agree you're never too old to learn new tricks, I've been thinking recently about organising a skidpan session for the club, they do it as a corporate day and have competitions so to avoid the "I DON'T NEED EXTRA TRAINING I'VE BEEN DRIVING FOR 50 YEARS" talk.
sounds good, I'd be interested - depending on cost/location etc, of course :)

·
Premium Member
7,310 Posts
your two factors are the only thing putting me off, there's no real central location, and some places want £75-£145pp which is probably not that bad, but it's out of my budget (particulaly with petrol and hotel) and I imagine out of a lot of other members budget too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts